How big is the "wedge" in a three piece back?

• Members

Hi - I am curious about the dimensions of the center piece of a three piece back. I don't own one, I don't know anyone who has one and I can't find one at the local (small) music store to measure one either.

Anyone know, or willing to measure, the two end widths?

Thanks,

• Members

Into math? Get a pic of one up on your screen. Knowing the size of the real guitar (bout dims) measure the bouts of the pic. Divide the size of the bouts of the pic into the size of the real guitar. That'll give you the scale constant. Then, multiply the two end dims taken right off your screen by the scale constant. Should get you pretty doggone close.

• Members

Hi - I am curious about the dimensions of the center piece of a three piece back. I don't own one, I don't know anyone who has one and I can't find one at the local (small) music store to measure one either.

Anyone know, or willing to measure, the two end widths?

Thanks,

They differ by brand. Martin's 35 series features the most dramatic wedge. I make a 3-piece back with a rectangular shaped center panel. There is no rule.

Just curious but, why do you care?

• Members

Baba - thanks. I saw your pic in a "2 vs 3 piece back thread" a while ago and like the proportions.

Bjorn - I want to build one on a future guitar and was curious if they were fairly standard or not.

Cripes, thanks for the tip - that didn't come to mind when I couldn't find a nice back shot of one yesterday on the Martin or Taylor website. I was sure I saw a couple of models with the 3 piece. Oh well.

I am picky about certain things on guitars, and starting without planned dimensions it seems like one of those things that I constantly second guess until it drove me crazy.

Thanks guys,

• Members

Bjorn - I want to build one on a future guitar and was curious if they were fairly standard or not....

I always regarded the 3 piece backs as a trick to utilise smaller pieces of wood when the ideal widths were not readily available.

Strange that something forced on guitar makers by economics and availability should end up looking pretty damned cool. :)

• Members

I always regarded the 3 piece backs as a trick to utilise smaller pieces of wood when the ideal widths were not readily available.

Strange that something forced on guitar makers by economics and availability should end up looking pretty damned cool.
:)

Yeah, at first I didn't like them for the same reason, but they have grown on me over the years. I have a set of oregon myrtle that has a crack that I'm not sure I can get out of, too close to call until I joint the back plates. Seems like a good excuse to try to build one to me! The flamed maple wedge is only $5 and could save me a lot of grief...

Archived