'Releasing' a single from your album?Does it make sense these days?

• Members

With vinyl records a single was a physical copy of 2 songs from the record but now cds are being sold by the single does it still make sense to release a single and if so what does that actually mean? It's just a virtual release then no?To push a particular song to get more attention?

Also to officially release an album,is it done just by announcement to let the public know that your record is for sale?

do you need a label for that either your own or get signed to someone elses label?

• Members

With vinyl records a single was a physical copy of 2 songs from the record but now cds are being sold by the single does it still make sense to release a single and if so what does that actually mean? It's just a virtual release then no?To push a particular song to get more attention?

Also to officially release an album,is it done just by announcement to let the public know that your record is for sale?

do you need a label for that either your own or get signed to someone elses label?

If you put it up for sale or free somewhere public, June, it's released! There's nothing "official" to do.

I've seen a lot of success for singles on iTunes, as searching gives you a hit on the song AND the album title (assuming you name the single "album" the name of the song, as most folks do).

Good luck!

--Peter

peter@tunecore.com

• Members

I've always thought that releasing singles without the help of a label was a tad bit pointless anyway. The purpose of the single is to not only inform pre-existing fans of the artist's new material, but also create some publicity and exposure for the artist on a much broader scale. As an unsigned artist, people have little incentive to purchase or download your single. Nevertheless, as an independent and unsigned artist, posting little promo videos on youtube is a viable option. Of course, putting new material on myspace, itunes, etc. But overall I feel that utilizing grassroots promotion is more ideal and maybe more realistic for unsigned artists.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've always thought that releasing singles without the help of a label was a tad bit pointless anyway. The purpose of the single is to not only inform pre-existing fans of the artist's new material, but also create some publicity and exposure for the artist on a much broader scale. As an unsigned artist, people have little incentive to purchase or download your single. Nevertheless, as an independent and unsigned artist, posting little promo videos on youtube is a viable option. Of course, putting new material on myspace, itunes, etc. But overall I feel that utilizing grassroots promotion is more ideal and maybe more realistic for unsigned artists.

I disagree, the single is as important now as it ever was, with or without the help of a label. I think the reason that a label's influence is so important is because an artist needs that objective perspective to help choose the right song as a single.

Of course, the definition and application of a "single" has changed slightly. Yes, it's still the main single track off of the album to promote the sale of some or all of the rest of the album, and it is still generally the most radio-friendly track, to be distributed to digital as well as terrestrial radio stations. But a track off of the album also needs to be designated for free promotional giveaways, marketed in a way that strategically leads to a click through to sale of the rest of the album. This includes not only iTunes' Download of the Day but also as an extra bit of content that media outlets such as bloggers and ezines can use in conjunction with an album review to drive traffic to that review and hopefully also to places where they can buy the album. You also mentioned another way that a single can be used: as the score of a music video or entertaining youtube clip.

Archived