need Ableton help

cavy

• Members

I'm over from the Bass forum. I just picked up an m-audio keystation 49e. I've been able to get great sounds using both GarageBand and Logic Express. I bought the keyboard used and it also came with a copy of Ableton Live Lite 4. I installed it and got it up and running but can get any sound from it. I recognizes the keystation.....

I only messed with it for about 10 minutes, but does Ableton have its own midi sounds, or will I be using the sounds from Logic and GarageBand?? I'd like to use the sounds from Logic preferrably.

Anyhow, how do I get sound from it?

• Members

If you want to use a sample from vinyl/cd... you can import audio files. you can use a loop or you can chop up a sample into multiple parts and trigger it with your controller. MIDI wise you can use virtual instruments/sound modules...etc to get basically any sound you are looking for.

• Members

... MIDI wise you can use virtual instruments/sound modules...etc to get basically any sound you are looking for.

That's the problem I'm having. I can't seem to get an soft synths to work. In theory I should be able to use the soft synths from Logic right? I looked through the folders on the left hand side of the screen to try to activate some. I've messed around with the preferences for midi sound "in" and "out" with no luck. I'm sure I'm just doing something small wrong

• Members

I don't know man. you can use VSTI's in any later version of Logic. As far as the MIDI controller goes... Logic should detect your USB controller right away. It should be listed as a device in your MIDI preferences. Maybe try a stand alone soft synth or something just to see if you can get sounds triggered. Hope that helps.

• Members

I probably should be more clear, I can actually record real audio (e.g. my bass guitar, acoustic etc...) and Ableton is recognizing my m-audio keystation and "recording it" in that it picks up the triggers and shows them on the screen. The problem is, those triggers aren't producing any actual sound, so its gotta be a simple output thing of sorts. And I haven't figured out how to assign sounds to those different triggers.

As far as I can tell so far the only options I have for sounds are 2: "simple something or other" and some other wierd name like "intruige" or something. (I'm not on my home computer at the moment) Seems like I should see "kick drum" "snare" "grand piano" etc... as choices too.

Archived