Help me, an electric player, find the right acoustic @ $300

Gravity

• Members

So I've been pretty much an exclusive electric player over the past 13 years.

The acoustic that I've had forever is a Palmer that I paid $40 for at a flea-market over 10 years ago. The action is so-so and the sound is lackluster, lots of fret buzz between the 5th and 12th frets, but it has served its purpose for just plain screwing around with etc.

But, the other day I played a pair of new Alvarezes. One was $200, the other $250. Being the idiot I am I can't remember the exact models, but maybe the prices will give you an idea of what I played.

Anyway, the playability and sound of these two Alvarezes were miles beyond what I am used to from the Palmer. I really dug them.

I know next to nothing when it comes to acoustics. And I know how seductive the "ooooh a brand new guitar that feels soooo much better than what I already have" mindset can be.

I don't really know what to look for in a good acoustic and I know that my judgment is skewed because of what I'm used to playing.

So, in the $300 and below range, new and used, what acoustics would you recommend I look for in my local stores to test drive? I've looked at ebay and musiciansfriend etc to see the price ranges, but I don't really know what I'm looking at. I'd really like the advice of players.

The purpose this guitar would serve would be for the occasional campfire deal and for composition.

Mostly, I want playability.

Thanks

• Members

In your price range I think the best thing to do is to get out and play a bunch. Lower priced guitars tend to vary more from one to the next of the same brand and model. With some perserverience you may find a gem, and at the very least, playing a lot of guitars will teach you what to look for. As long as the neck is not warped, most any guitar can be setup to play as easy as any other, neck profile not withstanding. Have fun.

• Members

check out the seagull entourage or the seagull s-6. the entourage is about $329usd and the s-6 goes for about $380usd. i also like the epiphone dove, and theres an art&luthrie also. check out some yamahas. of course i favor the seagull s-6. just make damn sure it's a solid top guitar. i went 2 GC and bought this jumbo epiphone for $400, it was pretty, had gold grovers, was sunburst w/abalone, however, it was laminate top. well, i live 80 miles from the nearest GC, but the next morning i tanked up my clunker and exchanged it for a solid top.

• Members

check out the seagull entourage or the seagull s-6. the entourage is about $329usd and the s-6 goes for about $380usd. i also like the epiphone dove, and theres an art&luthrie also. check out some yamahas. of course i favor the seagull s-6. just make damn sure it's a solid top guitar. i went 2 GC and bought this jumbo epiphone for $400, it was pretty, had gold grovers, was sunburst w/abalone, however, it was laminate top. well, i live 80 miles from the nearest GC, but the next morning i tanked up my clunker and exchanged it for a solid top.

cool ... yeah, I just spoke with a friend and he said the same thing about insisting on solid wood over the laminates

• Members
I would recommend either the
Yamaha FG700S
(@ $200) or the
FG730S
(@ $300), as well as the Alvarez RD20S (@220). You may have played this Alvarez yesterday. All three of these have solid tops.

Best,

Bill

+1 :thu:

Walden Natura Line - http://www.waldenguitars.com/steel/natura/natura.html

eBay - http://search.stores.ebay.com/Walden_Musical-Instruments_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQsacatZ619QQsbrexpZWD1SQQsifZ1QQsofpZ4QQssPageNameZWD1S

Trina

• Members

I like the Walden Natura Line a lot of bang for you buck. I own the Walden G570TB. To stay in the $300.00 range the Natura 500 Series is the way to go; though I did find someone on Ebay selling a D670 for $299.00 ....... free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Walden-D670-Solid-Top-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar_W0QQitemZ220120562185QQihZ012QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Trina

• Members

I like the Walden Natura Line a lot of bang for you buck. I own the Walden G570TB. To stay in the $300.00 range the Natura 500 Series is the way to go; though I did find someone on Ebay selling a D670 for $299.00 .......
free shipping

Trina

That'll be hard to beat.

Bill

• Members

For an electric guitar player this style of Takamine is worth considering:

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=145&sid=352

It is mini jumbo size, smallish neck - very easy to go from electric to this acoustic. Oh - yeah and it has tuner built in. This particular model is no longer made but they still make similar. not sure about price but am sure in US a used one would be in your ball park.

Good luck

• Members

What about an Ovation? Seems to me that would be the ideal "transition" instrument for an electric guitarist. Can't say I know much about their lower-end models, but a quick search on Zzounds shows a couple in that price range. Maybe I'm showing my prejudice because I've always wanted an Ovation but can't at the moment justify an eighth guitar. :freak:

• Members

In your price range I think the best thing to do is to get out and play a bunch. Lower priced guitars tend to vary more from one to the next of the same brand and model. With some perserverience you may find a gem, and at the very least, playing a lot of guitars will teach you what to look for. As long as the neck is not warped, most any guitar can be setup to play as easy as any other, neck profile not withstanding. Have fun.

:thu:best advice given.

• Members

I would suggest that you not dismiss laminate tops out of hand. A solid top can sound better, with more sustain, but it requires more care and feeding. If you are an electric guitar player, you have presumably never paid much attention to humidifying your ax. Also, when you talk about playing around a campfire, it calls to mind the possibility of assaults from the environment. A laminate will be much more tolerant of environmental issues than a solid top, and can sound almost as good. FWIW.

• Members

Today I went to a nearby store and sat down for about 45 minutes with their acoustics.

Of their selection, a Yamaha FG750S for $349 won out for me. The close second was a Takamine that I believe was a G340SC. There were also a couple epiphones that looked really nice but didn't hold up for me in the playability/sound department.

I just wish this place had some other brands for me to A/B as well but they did not. I'll have to check out a few other stores that will hopefully offer a selection of more variety.

Playing A/B is fun:thu:

And thanks everyone else for all the advice ... it is appreciated.

• Members

Been a few days since you posted to this thread but I thought I'd mention that I have a 750s and really like it. Everyone who plays it likes it. I also have a 735s (which is like a 730s) and it's close, but not quite as nice sounding (to me), but is a looker so I'll probably end up keeping it (that GAS acting up again).

• Members

Well, I haven't made it out to do any more demos.

But, in the meantime, here's what I've done. I decided to try and make the best out thr Palmer acoustic that I currently have. I've never attempted to adjust the bridge height of an acoustic. On an electric, sure, that's easy, everthing is reversible. So I pried the saddle out, leaving behind a few scratches, measured it in a caliper and just started sanding it to bring it down.

I think I may have gone a bit too far, hey it's my first try. I loosened the hell out of the already over-tightened truss rod and strung it up with .011's and it plays a hell of alot better than before, but the action is slightly too low.

I'm going to first try some heavier strings and then maybe sculpt another saddle. The beauty of this guitar is, just like the other day, my one-year-old and I were outside and I had my accoustic with me. When he decides to move off somewhere else, I can just grab the guitar and lay it down wherever, grass, bench, rocks, dirt, patio, etc ...

I think I may be sticking with what I have.

Thanks for all the help though. Discussing about and playing all the other acoustics gave me some good ideas of what mine needed to it so that it would become acceptable.

Thanks

Archived