Takamine CTP-1 Cool Tube Preamp - where to buy?

saberry

• Members

The Takamine I will likely be getting for my daughter is from their Japanese made naturals line and comes with the CT-4B preamp. It is my understanding that the CTP-1 Cool Tube preamp, which is only available on the higher end Taks, is interchangeable with the CT-4B.

Out of curiosity I was looking online to see if the CTP-1 could be purchased separately, but have yet to find anyone who carries them. Do they need to be ordered direct from a dealer or Takamine? I don't know that she would want a different preamp, but the demo on the Takamine website is pretty impressive and it would be nice to have the option.

TIA.

• Members

I love my Cool Tube Preamp in my new TC132SC. At first, I thought the tube thing was mostly hype and a selling point because whenever I see the word "warm" in relation to tone, you've got my attention. Anyway; I had a nice Takamine dread years ago with the same preamp you mentioned and I loved it also. But the CTP was not available at that time. The CTP has a blend knob for the tube where you can blend the signal through the tube as little or as much (100%) as you choose. As you turn the knob up you can actually hear things change in relation to tone (atleast I can). It's not only a slight volume increase but, having played tube amps for years now, I can hear the 'tube thing' going on and it truly 'warms' up the tone. I'm sure that you can get one through Takamine but am uncertain of anywhere else. You'll like it when you do get it I'm sure!

vtg

• Members

Saberry, I've recently been looking into replacing the preamp in my 1990 EF350MC with the new CTP-1 from Takamine. It's my understanding that after approx. 1989 or so all (or most) of the preamps for Tak's are interchangeable., You can confirm this through their website. I've had good expeience in getting replies from their techs via e-mail.

Along those lines; I recently received an e-mail from them telling me that the CTP-1 will be available "later this year" and will retail for around $349.

I think they are available in the UK right now. I found a website at one time where you can purchase them but with the exchange rate and shipping costs the total price was just unreasonable. I'll pass along any further info I may get.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Saberry, I've recently been looking into replacing the preamp in my 1990 EF350MC with the new CTP-1 from Takamine. It's my understanding that after approx. 1989 or so all (or most) of the preamps for Tak's are interchangeable., You can confirm this through their website. I've had good expeience in getting replies from their techs via e-mail.

Along those lines; I recently received an e-mail from them telling me that the CTP-1 will be available "later this year" and will retail for around $349.

I think they are available in the UK right now. I found a website at one time where you can purchase them but with the exchange rate and shipping costs the total price was just unreasonable. I'll pass along any further info I may get.

Sorry, I missed your reply before. You heard the same thing I posted in my first post - that they plan on making them available later this year. However, after talking to the owner of the local shop (an authorized Tak dealer) I was told that he can order one if I want. You just can't get themon your own yet.

• Members

I don't want to rain on the parade here, but this looks like yet another starved-plate design that is effectively the same as a solid-state preamp with a higher price. On their site, they specify that they're feeding the tube with only 3 volts, which isn't even on the chart for any 12au7 voltage specifications that I've seen. The heat from a tube comes from the high voltage necessary to feed the tube to get that "tube sound" so they have essentially eliminated the entire purpose of including a tube in the unit.

This preamp may still sound better thanks to a better circuit overall, but it's doubtful given the characteristics of a 12au7 tube running at such low voltage. Don't let marketing hype fool you into thinking the tube does anything good in this preamp.

I strongly suggest searching around for information on starved-plate designs before buying anything with a tube in it.

• Members

I don't want to rain on the parade here, but this looks like yet another starved-plate design that is effectively the same as a solid-state preamp with a higher price. On their site, they specify that they're feeding the tube with only 3 volts, which isn't even on the chart for any 12au7 voltage specifications that I've seen. The heat from a tube comes from the high voltage necessary to feed the tube to get that "tube sound" so they have essentially eliminated the entire purpose of including a tube in the unit.

This preamp may still sound better thanks to a better circuit overall, but it's doubtful given the characteristics of a 12au7 tube running at such low voltage. Don't let marketing hype fool you into thinking the tube does anything good in this preamp.

I strongly suggest searching around for information on starved-plate designs before buying anything with a tube in it.

Have you heard one?

• Members

saberry -

I play a tak and considered interchanging my CT4-B with the tube version CTP-1

There is a dealer in Jersey who could hook you up. They are tough to find on the web as the only ones I can find are all out of the UK for whatever reason.

This was about 5 or 6 months ago and I never did it because most of my money was tied up in a house move. I think I remember the price being about $189. But I could be wrong. Let me know and I'll PM you the stores number.

Archived