Seagull s6 experience

dinostrat

• Members

So i walked into GC today looking to pick my girlfriend up a guitar for her birthday and I started playing the S6 original and I was just absolutely blown away. For a guitar that was

1) The lack of a cutaway- I usually play electric, so I was not really used to not having a cutaway for high fretboard access. I'm looking for a strummer, so I don't know how big of a concern this is. Is there another quality guitar in this price range with a cutaway?

2) No Pickup- I know theres an acoustic/electric version of the s6, but its $120 dollars more. Is it worth it to just pay the extra cash, or is it equally fine to just buy a 50 dollar pickup and throw it on?

Thanks for all your help guys! Other suggestions (that kind of sound like a martin or the S6) in the 400-700 price range would also be super helpful.

• Members

I think that everyone here at HCAG has decided that anything over the 5th fret is pointless.

and you can always have your tech install a pickup, which is better because then you get to choose the electronics. You can even get ones without the barn door!

So really cutaway and pickups are pointless in my opinion.

my 2 cents.

• Members

I love my Seagull S6. I rarely go up so high that I'm wishing for a cutaway, and if you want a strummer, you're not going to need the cutaway. I'd add a pickup afterwards, it gives more choices and is less damaging to your guitar.

• Members

I have owned a couple of Seagull's over the years. Great bang for the $, w/a sold top too. With the right set-up (to fit your girlfriends needs) it should do well.:thu:

IMO: Don't think that you would need a cut away. If you wanted a pickup, I would wait & add on later. There are so many different types of pickups on the market in that price range, that may fit your playing needs better than the one that come w/(Active, Non-active, sound whole, under the bridge, etc). I like non-active Fishman - Neo-D $100 for example.

• Members

2) No Pickup- I know theres an acoustic/electric version of the s6, but its $120 dollars more. Is it worth it to just pay the extra cash, or is it equally fine to just buy a 50 dollar pickup and throw it on?

I'm going to guess that it isn't worth the extra $120. There are a lot of great pickups that you can buy and install yourself for less than $120. The K&K Twin Spot is under $100, for instance. Shop around. You're often better off with an aftermarket pickup than a factory installed pickup because you can choose a pickup you like.

The Seagull S6 is a great guitar, one of the best values on the market. Good luck! :thu:

Ellen

• Members

I concur with what's been posted, FWIW. The cutaway for a strummer would be a non-need and I'd rather add a pickup.

All of the Godin acoustics are great buys. I have a Norman and a Simon & Patrick and have no desire to replace either.

Best to you and your girlfriend.

Bill

• Members

thanks for all the advice guys. Sounds like these seagulls are really worth the money. Another thing that bothers me- theres no upper strap knob! I'm really not used to this, and i know I can always drill one, but I would rather not.

I feel like theres so many reasons for me to not like this guitar, but I can't get the tone out of my head! haha

• Members

Well, on acoustics, you really do make your living in the first five frets.

And honestly, when you get up past the 14th fret on an acoustic you've already lost a ton of tone and volume that I don't personally think it's necessary to have a cutaway for those higher frets.

But cutaways do allow for more fret access. If I could have only one guitar for recording, it would have a cutaway.

Do I own a guitar with a cutaway? Yes. Do I need it? Nope. Not at all. It's on the bottom of my guitar totem pole.

Also remember that cutaways are expensive. They drive up the price of guitars significantly.

The store you buy it from should be able to install a strap button for you.

They use dovetail joints on their guitars, so it shouldn't be a problem.

• Members

I think that everyone here at HCAG has decided that anything over the 5th fret is pointless.

So really cutaway and pickups are pointless in my opinion.

my 2 cents.

Uh-oh - I play has high as the 19th fret in some instances and couldn't imagine a guitar without the cutaway.......:confused:

But that is because I am handling leads and solo's in an acoustic rock band so it's a matter of what and how your playing.

I am pretty sure the other guy I play with doesn't play much above the 5th fret :thu:

Archived