Thinner Necks on Older Guitars?

SkySeven

• Members

Hey all - I play a '68 Gibson J-45, and from the moment I played it, I realized that the neck (width) is almost that of an electric. I come from playing a Taylor 614ce, so for me this is a huge (and welcome) change.

My question: is this common? Do most older guitars (specifically old Gibson's) have thinner necks, or is it just mine?

Thanks!

• Members

I know that Gibson used a very narrow (1 9/16") nut width on many of it's electric models from the mid 60's thorugh the late 70's. I have a 1967 ES-335 with this dimension. It isn't my first choice in neck size, but it is still comfortable for me. I haven't played any Gibson acoustics from that time.

Look closely at the neck on the ES-335, and you may be able to tell that it has a narrow profile:

fkguitars.JPG

• Members

A lot of the Gibsons are known for their "baseball bat" necks. especially older ones. I wouldn't doubt that someone at some point "shaved" the neck to get it where they wanted it....not uncommon.

I had a '62 175 TCD that had a real small neck...I mean miniscule...and the nut was tineeeee.

Archived