Choosing a Yamaha: LL, LJ or LS?

GuitarVlog

• Members

I think I'm getting close to choosing a steel-string fingerstyle acoustic and it's probably going to be one of the Yamaha L series guitars. It may be a 6 (laminated rosewood) or a 16 (solid rosewood).

Given that the guitar will be dedicated to fingerstyle, I'm guessing that I'd prefer either the LS (auditorium sized) or the LJ (smaller jumbo sized). To date, I've played an LL16 (smaller dreadnought sized) and an LJ16 and the LJ16 seems a little more of what I'm looking for. I'm hoping to find and try out an LS6 or LS16.

Can anyone share their own experiences with these guitars and their impressions of how they differ?

• Members

I'm sorry I can't help you in terms of Yamaha LJ & LS 16 Series, but do have their LL16 and an LS26 here.

In all honesty Yamaha L Series of guitars provides outstanding value for money, with fit and finish being hard to beat they come well set-up direct from the workshop. Their well balanced engelmann tops and rosewood back & side sets are capable of delivering a warm, driven and precise tonal response. Ask them to whisper and they'll do so with a high degree of tonal clarity, but ask them to growl and they'll roar just as clearly.

I predominantly play guitar sitting and unfortunately - nowadays - find the wider lower bouts a little uncomfortable so can't really offer any real user information on the LJ series, but if their LL and LS models are anything to go by (And you prefer jumbo body styling) I'd expect the same high performance.

If you're focus is fingerstyle I'd recommend the comfort of the LS body size and it's ability to perform just as well as it's larger bodied counterparts. Don't let body size fool you, because - despite their smaller size - these little beauties really can come alive in your hands as they're played and mine has really opened up during the past year or so that I've had it. Volume has never been an issue and they're great for both live and recording work. :thu:

Yamaha produce guitars capable of both meeting and exceeding player demands at all levels. Regardless of playing style and level of proficiency they're are well worth at least trying. They tend to come very well set-up with a medium-low action that's easily adjusted if you prefer it even lower.

• Members

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure that I try out the LS series before deciding.

Has anyone perceived a notable jump in performance between the 6's (at $500) and 16's (at $750)? I'm wondering if the 50% premium buys me much more guitar.

• Members

I have both the LL6 and LL26 and although there is a noticeable difference it is subtle. The LL6 is a fine guitar with a quality of tone, build and playability which far exceeds the price and you would never know you were playing a partially laminated instrument.

Up to the 16 level the guitars are Chinese made; 26 and up are handbuilt in Japan.

The LL26 is in a different league as far as build is concerned with all-wood purfling and no plastic (apart from the bridge pins) in sight, less bling and a more restrained and elegant aesthetic. I replaced my pins with ebony inlaid with turquoise dots, including the endpin.

To say I was impressed by both of these would be a gross understatement; as Gary mentioned earlier Yamaha make fantastic guitars in the Lotus (L) series-good enough for Bert Jansch; good enough for me.

One caveat to the above; both my Yamahas are very new and have had little time to settle in to their new environment so I'm wondering how they will open up in time-given the different builds.

• Members

I replaced my pins with ebony inlaid with turquoise dots, including the endpin.

Nice aesthetic touch :thu: Green abalone works well too. ;)

One caveat to the above; both my Yamahas are very new and have had little time to settle in to their new environment so I'm wondering how they will open up in time-given the different builds.

Much depends upon how often and hard you play them, but you'll very probably find your solid bodied LL26 opening up more readily than your laminate bodied LL6. Laminates tend to open up over a longer period and it can be either gradual or seemingly sudden, but the back of your LL6 truly springs to life.

Eye wateringly good guitars that compare extremely well with more highly priced examples from CF Martin.

Archived