Close GAS Call In Haight-Ashbury

rjoxyz

• Members

My wife ran in the San Francisco Marathon this past Sunday. We were there from Thursday-Monday, staying on the wharf.

Our last tourist stop was Monday before our flight home. We went up to Haight-Ashbury, in hopes of getting a taste of the Summer of Love. Instead we got a taste of more tourists, a few young homeless pseudo-hippies and a bunch of modern urban boutiques mixed in with some head shops.

My eyes brightened when we happened upon the Haight-Ashbury Music Center. It is a smallish and very cool, full-line music store with an acoustic room in the back. Been around since 1972. Was assisted by a very nice, but goofy 60-ish gent, who never left after 1967. He was the real deal.

The acoustic room was full of Martins, Taylors, Guilds, Gibsons, and a single dusty Bourgeois dread. Had never played one, so he got it down for me. I still don't know what they sound like, as the strings were deader than Jerry Garcia. A shame.

The "close call" part came when he pulled down an Alvarez Yairi DY-84 that was marked down to about $900. He said it had been there forever as few were familiar with the maker. The strings even had some life in them.

I sat down and played it for about 15 minutes. Great neck, perfect action, light build, etc. The tone really appealed to me. Clear, full and balanced. Bass was strong, even with the lights that were on it. First Yairi I had laid hands on. I wanted it--badly. The price seemed too good to be true. I looked it over closely, and there was some sort of "squiggly" little defect in the spruce under the finish and below the bridge, that was only visible when the light hit it from certain angles.

The sudden and unexpecte GAS attack was abated by a stern look from my wife and an upcoming flight home. Now, I am irrationally pre-occupied with yet another dread. :facepalm:

Any Yairi love out there? Actually, I need someone to tell me most of them suck and the one I played was a freak exception! Please?

• Members

Yairis are really great guitars. Most people find their life greatly improves after purchasing one. One gentlemen, in New York I believe, won the Lottery after purchasing one. A woman in South Dakota was promoted, got a raise and lost 15 lbs within 2 days of purchase.

Doc Watson couldn't play until he bought one. Jerry Garcia's favorite guitar was a Yairi. The night it was stolen, he fell over dead. I was 5'2" tall until I bought one and now I am over 6'. Don't even get me started on the changes in my sex life...

• Members

Yairi's top end models are incredible sounding. There has been one for sale at my local GC for about 6 monhs now...they are asking $1400 for it, but it list for $2500 new and its in MINT condition.....gorgeous woods and the neck almost plays itself...Uh oh, I'm almost sounding like ....

A DYM95 is really a nice guitar...here's some pics of it....I was really considering buying it.

b159018635.jpg

• Members

Just be glad that you didn't make it to Guitar Solo in the city. Then you would have probably left with a $4000 gut box (or something more expensive).

Had you gone to Schoenberg's Guitars in Tiburon, you would probably have missed your flight ... and the next.

Archived