Martin D40 anyone got one?

gags

• Members

I have seen one of these and it looks nice but Martin discontinued it?

Why did they?

Was it a bad guitar?

I'd imagine so they can build more D-41s and D-45s.

The 40 series is already so expensive, due to the custom shop type labor, that some abalone bling is an easy way to make a little more money.

• Members

The D-40 was basically the same as the D-41 without the abalone around the top perimeter. I was all set to get one about 7 years ago but could not find one anywhere and a slightly used D-42 popped up for the same price as a new '40 so I went that way and no regrets.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

I bought a D-40 in 2000. It's been a great guitar! Booming bass and clear middles and highs. D-40s didn't have the bling of a 41 or 42, but the rosewood had the same great sound, and the same neck as a 41. I bought the guitar at Elderly's in Lansing, MI. It was the better sounding than the 41s or 42s they had in stock at the time. It was nearly as good sounding as the two 45s that I played, but I couldn't justify the difference in price for the difference in sound between the D-40 and the D-45. Too close to call for the price. I've never been happier with a guitar in my life and I've been playing for 54 years. I have had a nice D-18, but the D-40 puts it to shame. I'll never sell it. I also own a Taylor 412-CER, which plays great and is much brighter, but the D-40 remains king.

Archived