David Wilcox Show--What's Standard Tuning?

rjoxyz

• Members

Saw David Wilcox for the first time Saturday night at the Ark in Ann Arbor. Holy Capo! He uses 2 capos/partial capos alone or in combination, and seems to use different tunings for every song (his trademark, I guess). Amazing tone from his Olson with many interesting voices. First time I had seen someone play above and between capos.

He is an amazing performer in what was a really intimate setting with great acoustics. Always liked his stuff, but never realized he performs as sort of storyteller/philosopher/poet, with often amusing banter between numbers.

None of this detracted from music. Incredible acoustic performance. My first time at the Ark. Room acoustics and sound management was perfect.

Interestingly, he had a short opening act in Randall Williams, who was playing a Larrivee L-03R, using 3, count 'em 3 capos at once. I was really perplexed, not understanding the whole partial capo thing. Turns out he gives symposiums and workshops on use of the partial capo and published a book on the subject. Between him and Wilcox, and all the capos, I was pretty fascinated.

Anyway, anyone who appreciates good acoustic work and well crafted folk/pop music would enjoy seeing him live, I'm sure. I bought his first CD of any note, "How Did You Find Me Here?" in 1989 and still play it regularly. I was aware of his prolific use of alternate tunings, but was amazed to see it in person.

Archived