Epi Masterbilt AJ-500M vs DR-500M

Eddie27

• Members

I'm trying to decide between the Epi Masterbilt AJ-500M (slope shoulder) or the DR-500M (dreadnaught). I like the sound of the AJ for chords, but the DR is brighter for leads. Problem is I can't find ones to play with a pickup, so I can't test how they sound amplified.

Will the AJ be bright enough for leads when amplified with a good pickup?

What is the best pickup for under $200?

• Members

I own an AJ500M and find it plenty bright. All depends on the strings used. If I put Martin SP PB's on it, it is almost shrill. I use GHS Vintage Bronze to tone it down. I don't think you will have any problem with tone for lead play, just have to find the strings that give you what you want.

• Members

I own an AJ500M and find it plenty bright. All depends on the strings used. If I put Martin SP PB's on it, it is almost shrill. I use GHS Vintage Bronze to tone it down. I don't think you will have any problem with tone for lead play, just have to find the strings that give you what you want.

I find the exact opposite to be true of my AJ500M. I am using 80/20's on it now because it sounded so dead with D'adario PB's.

As to the DR500M, I'll let you know when it gets here ;)

• Members

I find the exact opposite to be true of my AJ500M. I am using 80/20's on it now because it sounded so dead with D'adario PB's.

As to the DR500M, I'll let you know when it gets here
;)

There ya' have it. Same guitar, 2 sets of ears and 2 different opinions.

I do find that most guitars can be made to sound brighter or warmer with particular sets strings. I find the same result, to a lesser degreee, with the choice of pick I use.

Archived