Big Mistake

kelleygraphy

• Members

Last summer I had a gig with two of my friends which we were going to blend both of our systems together. When we got on scene the lady who hired us put pressure on my partner to play 1 hour earlier than we had been

hired for. We arrived 1 1/2 hours early in order to have time to do a proper setup and sound check. My partner who agreed to this got nervous and set up his sound as if he were playing solo. Well we did the gig but the sound to my ears was way out of wack and it was driving me crasy during the whole show. I promised myself there and then to only play after a thorough setup and soundcheck. I guess, I was wondering if others have had experiances like this and how do you deal with people when they throw you a curve ball like changing starting time at the last minute?

• Members

I believe it was most probably that the two systems working independantly were not balanced both volume wise and to some degree tone wise. It just wasn't working as a whole. When I set mine up by itself I can get really nice sound from it but by not taking the time to do a setup they were not at the proper settings for each other. Originally we were going to go through my mackie mixer and then through the entire system. Instead we ended up playing through both independantly from each other.

• Members

Back in the old days, using two separate PA's could be dangerous. The systems weren't grounded and operated at high (tube) voltages.

If anything from one system touched the other and the polarities were reversed....pretty much death. Probably not so much an issue these days with 3 prong plugs...but sometimes with outdoor gigs sometimes things aren't grounded and {censored} can happen.

Archived