SSS: String Suggestion for Sustain?

MarkGencorelli

• Members

Did a quick search on the forum for some new strings I wanted to slap on my git, and seems like the consensus is that DR Sunbeams would be ideal for greater sustain.

Trying to figure out which DR Sunbeams I should get...Is it lighter the strings the better the sustain or should is it heavier the strings?

Also, any other string reccomendations for greater sustain?

Thanks!

• Members

Brass bridge pins will increase sustain.

Thanks Jimmy!

I heard bridge pins improving sustain is a debatable topic...no?

I've heard for the most part, that strings are a key factor in the influence of sustain...

I'm planning on changing my strings first (got any suggestions?)...

then maybe to a bone saddle...

• Members

I don't think I've ever experienced differentiating sustain with strings. That's usually the guitar itself or, more specifically, the top. Break angle is also a consideration. All of the strings I've experimented with on various guitars distinguish themselves with regard to tone and longevity. Sustain and resonance are what they are regardless of the strings for each guitar. Some work may change that. Reducing the mass of the braces with scalloping could be one area to think about. Inspecting the saddle slot for flatness and cleanliness is a quick check. Changing saddle material might produce benefits too.

• Members

Did a quick search on the forum for some new strings I wanted to slap on my git, and seems like the consensus is that DR Sunbeams would be ideal for greater sustain.

Trying to figure out which DR Sunbeams I should get...Is it lighter the strings the better the sustain or should is it heavier the strings?

Also, any other string reccomendations for greater sustain?

Thanks!

It's the design, construction, and function of a guitar that really determines sustain. Just general phospor bronze strings will work as well as anything else.

Generally speaking, heavier guage strings will offer more sustain due to their increased mass.

• Members

It's the design, construction, and function of a guitar that really determines sustain. Just general phospor bronze strings will work as well as anything else.

Generally speaking, heavier guage strings will offer more sustain due to their increased mass.

Definitely agree with that statement...Just looking for something a tad bit extra...not looking for something to metamorphasize the git.

Thanks!

• Members

I don't think I've ever experienced differentiating sustain with strings. That's usually the guitar itself or, more specifically, the top. Break angle is also a consideration. All of the strings I've experimented with on various guitars distinguish themselves with regard to tone and longevity. Sustain and resonance are what they are regardless of the strings for each guitar. Some work may change that. Reducing the mass of the braces with scalloping could be one area to think about. Inspecting the saddle slot for flatness and cleanliness is a quick check. Changing saddle material might produce benefits too.

You're on the right track here Melodeous, with the exception of reducing brace mass. One of the bug-a-boos in acoustic guitar design and construction, is the trade-off between sustain and tone. Thicker braces tend to increase sustain, while making the top less lively, with the inverse being equally true, as we're exchanging string resonance for top resonance.

It's all a compromise.

• Members

You're on the right track here Melodeous, with the exception of reducing brace mass. One of the bug-a-boos in acoustic guitar design and construction, is the trade-off between sustain and tone. Thicker braces tend to increase sustain, while making the top less lively, with the inverse being equally true, as we're exchanging string resonance for top resonance.

It's all a compromise.

That's it then. My first guitar build will have the top braced with re-bar. Them little string vibes will transfer to the steel bars and just sit there and hum along. Hmm. Maybe I should use something lighter like titanium.

Seriously, though, I always thought reduction of the mass in a soundboard's construction allowed the top to ring easier. From what I gather from your statement it would still hold true but that mass reduction means an increased decay? Now it all makes sense. Less mass, less hang-time. If I'm guessing this right then I can see the biatch between tone and sustain match-up. You luthiers are really just wood species marriage counselors actually encouraging one of the partners to whine loud, long and with a pleasant voice. So, it really isn't over until the phat lady sings?

Sorry. I've got a little altitude going at the moment after a double root canal and wisdom tooth extraction.

• Members

Sorry. I've got a little altitude going at the moment after a double root canal and wisdom tooth extraction.

Getting serious again for a moment, the most sustain you'll ever get is with a solid neck-through-body guitar with a hard-tail.

Sorry about the roto-rooter, er root canal work. :cry:

• Members

Getting serious again for a moment, the most sustain you'll ever get is with a
solid neck-through-body guitar with a hard-tail.

Sorry about the roto-rooter, er root canal work.
:cry:

That would be a West Coast Chopper, my friend. Bad kidney advice.

Quote away only don't quote me. You'll never know if I didn't plagiarize it from some conversation held in a greasy luthier's blues bar somewhere.

• Members

On a serious note:

Try a set of DR Sunbeam's in 12s. They are round core and I think they make a world of difference over regular hex core strings in the sustain dept. No guarantees, just something to try that works for me on my OM-21.

• Members

On a serious note:

Try a set of DR Sunbeam's in 12s. They are round core and I think they make a world of difference over regular hex core strings in the sustain dept. No guarantees, just something to try that works for me on my OM-21.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with the OM-21 itself.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say that a finely crafted guitar will make strings sound good, not the other way around. I could be wrong in some (string brand) cases but veins are just avenues from and to the heart...

• Members

I have used DR Sunbeams for years. My seat of the pants impression is that they do seem to increase sustain a bit. Traded some emails with a guy who used to sell them on eBay (along with other brands). He has played professionally and taught guitar for something approaching 40 years. Claims to have done some systematic "studies" and found Sunbeams sustain to degrade significantly slower than most other strings.

Just giving my own impression and repeating information, suspect or not.

• Members

And it has absolutely nothing to do with the OM-21 itself.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say that a finely crafted guitar will make strings sound good, not the other way around. I could be wrong in some (string brand) cases but veins are just avenues from and to the heart...

I have had a lot of different sets of strings on this guitar and to my ear the Sunbeams sound better and sustain longer to a very noticable degree. I would think that a well made guitar of premium woods will allow you to hear differences in strings that a heavier or laminated top guitar might not.

Archived