Thoughts on the classical position please.

andy thompson

• Members

Does anyone use an apoyo (I think thats the right term but I may be mistaken)?

I am thinking of devices like the "neck up" at the moment I use a rolled up tea towel to raise the neck which helps but people keep ordering food and drink from me when I try to play (lol)...seriously any suggestions?

I want something to make her more secure and stable but not a footstool....thanks

• Members

The term is 'guitar support'.

The best on the market are, IMHO, the Ergoplays. I use the Troster model for full adjustability. I think Scott Tennant of the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet uses the Tappert model.

ergotrost.jpg

A lot of classical guitarists use and prefer the Ergoplay but some prefer the Gitano guitar support because it folds more compact.

• Members

I used a footstool at the beginning but it did give me lower back pain. People are different so you should see what works for you.

I first switched to a Dynarette but I needed a little more height than I could get from the large model. That's when I tried out the Troster and I've been very happy with it. I still keep the Dynarette for those times when I need to play a friend's guitar since they can be uncomfortable about seeing a device attaced to their instrument with suction cups.

• Members

Yeah thanks, I think Im going to take your advice and order one of those Trosters.

Im always dirty after work so when I do practice I put on my nice trousers which are slippery, if I find that still to be the case Ill attach some neoprene or similar to the underside.

• Members

A footstool for me, and I do have one, does put an asymmetry on the back that becomes uncomfortable in short order. I watched Mason Williams perform and he uses a strap that wraps around the lower bout acting as a pivot point for rotating the guitar to his preferred playing angle. I haven't looked for one of these but it's the best idea I've seen yet that doesn't require the baggage of a stool or leg support.

• Members

Just so you see some of these in action:

Martha masters is using what seems to be a Neck-up.

[YOUTUBE]NMBEbVf965k[/YOUTUBE]

Eliot Fisk seems to be using an older Ergoplay.

[YOUTUBE]4i03zd2XmG4[/YOUTUBE]

Julian bream is using a Dynarette.

[YOUTUBE]PehGjl3xDbw[/YOUTUBE]

Peo Kindren uses the Gitano.

[YOUTUBE]jXC9tuumjiA[/YOUTUBE]

My 'neighbor' Julie uses an Ergoplay.

[YOUTUBE]nBH2mi2IcH0[/YOUTUBE]

Eduardo Diaz uses a Dynarette.

[YOUTUBE]D10rdWHZ0g4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Riffmeister why a footstool?

In my uninformed opinion I thought they contributed to back pain, I guess thats a disclaimer put in some books.

I dunno, I guess I am old fashioned. Been using a foot stool for 35+ years, no back pain whatsoever for me. Of course, I'm only in my early 50s so ask me again in 10 years.....

Archived