Travel guitars - what am I missing?

jedistar

• Members

well i have two an aria sinsonido steel string (breaks apart at the bouts and looks like a mahogany 2x4 with strings and a lipstick pup. also a go-guitar. see go-guitars.com for more info on an american hand made 24"scale solid wood git for about $300. both have a place depending where i am going and who i will play with on that trip. yamaha also makes a travil git that comes apart at the bout for about $600. pup adds reverb

• Members

Not really. Now, the 3/4 scale guitar or a guitar that takes as much as space as a separate piece of luggage...yeah, kind of a gimmic.

But the Traveler line of guitars, for example, are quite small, and you can actually fit one, in its case, inside of a decent sized suitcase (along with your other stuff) OR it's small enough to get past any carry-on police...

E.g.:

A guitar THIS small has real value over a "real" guitar for traveling.

Have you played one? I have not tried that particular one, but all of the similar ones I have played with the oddball shapes phail at the basic "guitarness" of being a guitar. The are either impossible to play without adopting a quasimodo posture and/or they sound like ass. On the other hand, the baby and mini gits are just cute as buttons and you can thrash the sn0t out of them and they sound just like... well... umm...... guitars!!

Editorial "oh by the way" comment > Most of the time when I travel, I just bring a regular electric guitar (one I won't cry too much over if it gets dinged/lost) in a regular guitar travel case and either check it or carry it on. So obviously I don't drag my D-35 halfway across the country or across the world (I am in Amsterdam this week) but I still have an axe to play.

• Members

I have a Washburn Rover. The action is great and it is a full-scale neck, but, the guitar has NO bass response at all. It actually sounds more like a Les Paul without a lot of power pushing it.

I might let it go for a "C" note... comes with strap, case, extra saddle, picks.

• Members

Have you played one? I have not tried that particular one, but all of the similar ones I have played with the oddball shapes phail at the basic "guitarness" of being a guitar. The are either impossible to play without adopting a quasimodo posture and/or they sound like ass. On the other hand, the baby and mini gits are just cute as buttons and you can thrash the sn0t out of them and they sound just like... well... umm...... guitars!!

Editorial "oh by the way" comment > Most of the time when I travel, I just bring a regular electric guitar (one I won't cry too much over if it gets dinged/lost) in a regular guitar travel case and either check it or carry it on. So obviously I don't drag my D-35 halfway across the country or across the world (I am in Amsterdam this week) but I still have an axe to play.

I have one and so, yup, I've played one. It's a traveler steel stringed acoustic and looks like the one I linked (not the same model, but similar design). Unplugged, it's no great shakes, but it will let you get your practice in or whatever. With headphones on (or plugged into an amp) it sound quite good, or at least a lot more decent than you'd possibly expect--at least as good as most 3/4 scale "real" baby acoustics.

I have plenty of 3/4 scale baby acoustics, and all things being equal, I'd rather play the best of those than the Traveler, but...

In the old days of 2-checked-items-per-customer, I agree with you that it would be reasonable to just check a guitar you don't care that much about. But nowadays, it costs $20-50 to check that second piece of luggage, so if you can get a travel guitar that bypasses the second piece of luggage cost, it's a definite win.

Archived