Tips on how to practice needed

baldbloke

• Members

Hi,

First picked up a guitar 32 years ago at the age of seventeen. Like so many others, didn't apply myself. Had more layoffs than pick-ups with the guitar. Wasn't prepared to put in the hard work required. Spent at least 25 of those 32 years not playing, the other seven was spent playing the same old tat that I learned at seventeen. (Boring, or what!).

So, after 32 years I'm a noob.

Now, aged 49, I have developed an absolute passion for improving. Been practicing more in the last 3 months than I have ever practiced in the preceding 32 years. It feels like every waking minute of my day is spent practicing guitar, thinking about guitar or listening to guitar. I got it bad. If only I had this passion when I was younger. Grrr!

Fingerpicking is my preferred method. It takes me a very, very long time to learn new tunes. Example: I spent a total of 12 hours recently learning and practicing Blackbird (Beatles) before I was satisfied with the fingering. (And it still isn't what I'd call "polished" yet)

However, whilst slogging away to get tunes right and attempting to make them sound acceptable (to me, anyway), I find that they become very mechanical and boring. It really is a slog. So much hard work for what seems like very little return. But the occasional noticeable improvement gives me encouragement.

On the plus side of things, once I have learned the mechanics of a tune, I find that leaving that tune alone for a couple of weeks - or perhaps just practicing that tune infrequently - and returning to it introduces a bit of freshness and it starts to sound a little more musical than mechanical.

One method I use to alleviate the boredom of repetition when practicing is to try and learn two or three tunes at roughly the same time. This way, when the slog gets too much for me, I can switch to another new tune and practice that for a while. This keeps my interest going.

So, I was wondering, other than break each new piece in to small sections, what methods do you use to learn new pieces? Do you just keep plugging away at the same tune till you have cracked it or what?

• Members

No secret methodology here. You seem to have your head on right about practicing. Remember, the technical part of a song (mechanical) comes first. Once you have that well in-hand(s) you can begin to add passion. The trouble with songs you are already passionate about is your inability to vent that passion because you're grappling with the technical aspects of learning. So, you get frustrated at the absence of feeling. Take it one step at a time. I'm also a fingerpicker and that can be technically complex when learning to perform the patterns, change-ups and singing in short order. Simple pattern songs will come easier and I suggest you find and practice those first. I took about as many years off (sabbatical 1975-2004) from guitar and also came back with renewed enthusiasm sans the ability to do what I wanted to do. It took me a few years to get it all back and begin to move forward again. Have some patience and keep practicing as much as you care to.

• Members

So, I was wondering, other than break each new piece in to small sections, what methods do you use to learn new pieces? Do you just keep plugging away at the same tune till you have cracked it or what?

I find playing more complex riffs slowly and then speeding them up to be of great value. Trying to play them quickly first makes them sloppy.

That and go play with others. This forces you to get better. Even if you just sit in with a band or friends, you learn really fast this way.

• Members

Relax, take a break and sleep on a problem if it's taking a while to crack and most of all, enjoy the experience. :thu: Learning guitar can sometimes be full of long hard climbs and frustrating plateaus, but the rewards are well worth the hard work. It sounds like you've a very decent grasp of what's needed, but there's nothing worse than learning solo and all I can recommend is try to pair up with a practise partner or teacher (If your budget will allow) and play/practise as often as you feel comfortable with.

Pairing up and practising with a playing partner, regardless of experience level, tends to work extremely well in terms of raising your game and the enjoyment it can bring.

The aptitude for learning fingerstyle obviously varies from person to person, but if you try interspersing basic and intermediate playing techniques you should hopefully find yourself advancing more steadily. A solid foundation in basics tends to pay dividends when more complex technique comes into play.

• Members

Hey BB, my story is similar to yours. Keep in mind it's guitar playing not working. Learn to play songs you like. Eventually, the switch will click and it will get easier and you will want more challenging. I drive around with the radio on and write down stuff I want to learn. Also, the lesson loft section on this site has been very helpful. Have fun!

• Members

the way to practice is A LOT. my estimation is that for every 500 hours that you practice you reach another plateau. thats why you get these 16 year old kids who practiced 6-8 hours a day since they were 10 sounding like the second coming of ______ (insert your fave git player).

• Members

Thank you all for taking the time and trouble to respond. Much appreciated. You have inspired me to keep trying.

No secret methods then? Darn! Just hard (and sometimes enjoyable) work. And lots of practice, practice, practice.

Fave git Player? Hmmm... Tommy Emmanuel. I have most of his stuff on DVD and books. I really ought to lower my sights a little. Tommy often practiced for 16 hours a day from a very young age. Usually I learn the first two bars and give up on his stuff. Reality then kicks in and I go practice something more realistic for my level.

And, yes, I am my own worst enemy when it comes to slowing down to practice. Often have to make conscious effort to slow myself down.

"Pairing up and practicing with a playing partner". I have a couple of mates who bought guitars with the "intention" of learning. Always the "intention". They may get round to it someday. I keep trying to enthuse them to start learning but no sparring partners on the horizon at the moment. Strangely dissapointing is the fact that they think I am a decent player. Umm.. What part of "12 hours to learn Blackbird" did they not hear?:poke:

I go for the occasional lesson (only four lessons so far). Usually an hours lesson supplies me with enough objectives to fill 3 weeks of practice time.

The lesson loft. To my shame, I wasn't aware it was on this site. I'll be looking at that. There seems to be so much lesson material available nowadays that it's difficult to adhere to any one method of learning. Keep jumping from one type of lesson to another. (Seeks the Holy Grail of lessons. Tries to find shortcuts. D'oh!)

Maybe someday I'll be able to contribute to the monthly VOM instead of just browsing it.

Thank you all for the encouragement.

• Members

Keep doing what you are doing. It's really all there is. The joy is not in playing 10 new tunes easily. It's in the journey! Realize that you, yes YOU, are mortal, and like the rest of us you will struggle. Enjoy the struggle! I love every minute of it!

Archived