It's a tough old thing learning guitar on your own

baldbloke

• Members

Cool. Think of it as a VOM with training wheels. :)

Anybody who plays too well gets kicked out and has to perform in the One True VOM.

Edit: yeah, I guess we need a name. How about the BOM: Beginners Open Mic?

• Members

Pretty much a solo player these days except for the occasional jam session.

The only formal music lessons I ever had were not on anything with strings on it. Three years of keyboard stuff.....but, it did teach me how to read music, chord structure and other theoretical junk.

I got my first guitar at the age of 16 and I'm pretty much 100% self-taught when it comes to guitar and mandolin. In my younger days I played on a regular basis with other players for a couple of years, but when I look back on it, it was more "noise" than music.

There was a period of about 15 years when I wasn't doing anything of a musical nature. Today, at age 67, I feel I'm being honest when I say I'm a better guitar player than I ever was. That's only because I've put forth a lot of effort to get there over the last 4 or 5 years. It makes me wish I hadn't laid off of it for those 15 years.

My advice to you younger guys is, if you're into it, stay with it. It's a lot easier to stay with it than to get out and then try to get back into it.

• Members

The BOM

Gitnoob, a new dedicated thread for your idea would help spread the word.

But, please, some of us have no clue how good or bad we are. Hence one of the reasons for my post about never playing in company. So how do we know we are Noobs really?

We need some entry rules. On second thoughts, that would take the fun out of it.

Lets have a laugh and let our hair down. Oh, wait a minute, baldlokes can't do that, can they?

• Members

I'm already trying to figure out which piece to play.
:)

I know what I'm going to play. Twinkle twinkle little star. I can do that really well. Nah, too professional. I'll do a Beatles tune from my hairy days. First fingerpicking tune I ever did was "Her Majesty".

• Members

We used to have house jams just about every second week a few years back, but life changes,,, peoples' schedules change,,, priorities change, etc. I really miss those get-togethers, but, what a great ressource YouTube has turned out to be. Now, if I feel like jamming with the Beatles, or the Eagles, or whoever, I just go online, and voila. It's a great confidence builder too, to be able to sing along and harmonize with those guys, as well as some of the guitar work.:thu:

• Members
We used to have house jams just about every second week a few years back, but life changes,,, peoples' schedules change,,, priorities change, etc. I really miss those get-togethers, but, what a great ressource YouTube has turned out to be. Now, if I feel like jamming with the Beatles, or the Eagles, or whoever, I just go online, and voila. It's a great confidence builder too, to be able to sing along and harmonize with those guys, as well as some of the guitar work.
:thu:

Agree, I used to "jam" along with records of my fav groups. Then later started playing with other musicians. That's a great way to get better and have more fun too.

• Members

I'm pretty much self taught on guitar and bass but find I improve and develop best when playing with other musicians. Actual technique and note reading and so on I still do mostly on my own.

Playing on my own and "jammin" with records has given me a strong ability to pick out parts and so on but it's only recently that I have started to work on note-reading and so on again.

It's difficult finding a teacher around here that has time for a middle aged intermediate player, most of those that I know divide their time between playing professionally and teaching at the local music schools. Those that have classes for all ages aren't cheap and I am not sure of how much good they would be for me!

Archived