Top Repair: How much would this hurt me?

Ol' Tree Frog

• Members

Trying to decide whether to repair or replace. The guitar is a brand new Cort Earth 200. I paid 500TL, which is a little above 300 USD. By the way, I'm very impressed with the sound (even in its lacerated state) and build quality. Compares very favorably with the Johnson Carolina stuff a friend of mine was enthusiastically pushing a few years ago.

I bought this Cort as a good cheap player to take to coffee houses in a gigbag. Given the nature of its injuries, do you think the cracks can be made stable at a reasonable price? Looks I don't particularly care about, but would it be worth the cost to have a pro seal the cracks?

Thanks for your advice.

002-1.jpg

003.jpg

004-1.jpg

• Members

As with most things it can be repaired, but cost and method used depend heavily on who you choose to carry out the repairwork and where they're based. An example would be that three hours value of my shop time could run much higher or lower than another luthier or repairman's shop time and your guitar is best evaluated for potential internal damage.

I'd honestly recommend - if you can't make an insurance claim for repairs or replacement - you take it to a few local repair shops for realistic estimates and base your decision on who's work and pricing fits within a budget you can justify.

Archived