Identifying a guitar I bought

Jamesapp

• Members

Hello,

I bought an acoustic guitar a couple of years ago. It looked like someone had been taking it apart i.e. I could see where the pickguard had been. Also you could see where the bridge use to be. The frets and fret markers were gone. And the tuning peg thing was gone.

I bought it and tried to restore it. I put a stain on the wood, I glued a bridge on it put in a tuning peg machine. Tried to put in the frets, put a nut( where the strings rest before going to the tuning pegs) etc.

I tried putting strings on it and the playability and sound were pretty bad. I have recently, took interest in it again.

I am wondering if anyone knows who manufactured the guitar? And any info on it, like the wood used construction etc. Here are some pictures... The only clue I have is stenceled in black ink inside the sound hole is "b-2 L 1138"

any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0097.JPG

I am on my iPhone and I don't know if these pictures will show up

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

• Members

A photo of the headstock would help. It's a solid top and looks like it had a paper label in the soundhole at one time. The original bridge was likely an adjustable wooden type with a trapeze tailpiece (you can tell if it has 2 or 3 holes on the bottom.) The L-1138 and B-2 stamps would indicate that it came from a high production factory like Kay, Harmony, or Lloyd. I'd say that it was made in the 1930s.

It looks cool. I'd just hang it on the wall if I had it. I definitely wouldn't sting it up.

• Members

hello,
thanks for the response i took a picture of the headstock. as for the bridge if i remember correctly when i bought it it had an indentation where the old bridge was, it was a square or rectangle fairly small a couple of inches.

Another thing, it is a very small guitar.

again thanks for the response. any added info would be appreciated.

• Members

hello,

thanks for the response i took a picture of the headstock. as for the bridge if i remember correctly when i bought it it had an indentation where the old bridge was, it was a square or rectangle fairly small a couple of inches.

Another thing, it is a very small guitar.

again thanks for the response. any added info would be appreciated.

Harmony.

Archived