Saw Doyle Dykes the other night

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

Missed him twice because of work but not this time. The type of music he plays isn't my cup of tea, but he's definitely got chops. He didn't seem as nice off-stage as on, but who knows, maybe he was having a bad day. :idk: Besides, I was there to see his guitar playing, not his social skills, and he genuinely losses himself in his playing. Overall an enjoyable show.

• Members
Missed him twice because of work but not this time. The type of music he plays isn't my cup of tea, but he's definitely got chops. He didn't seem as nice off-stage as on, but who knows, maybe he was having a bad day.
:idk:
Besides, I was there to see his guitar playing, not his social skills, and he genuinely losses himself in his playing. Overall an enjoyable show.

He is definatly considered one of the best ever. Amazing that he recovered the ability to play after destroying his hands with the crazy stuff he played in his early years.

What type of guitar was he playing during his sets?

• Members
Missed him twice because of work but not this time. The type of music he plays isn't my cup of tea, but he's definitely got chops. He didn't seem as nice off-stage as on, but who knows, maybe he was having a bad day.
:idk:
Besides, I was there to see his guitar playing, not his social skills, and he genuinely losses himself in his playing. Overall an enjoyable show.

I've had the opposite experience. Last year Doyle and his daughter Haley drove in a blinding thunderstorm to play in front of about twenty people at a Taylor clinic at a local shop. I was mesmerized with his playing but enjoyed even more getting to talk to him afterwards. Definitely just one of the guys and really gracious. To be honest, I've never met a player that was that talented that wasn't some at least some kind of head case. Thumbs up for Doyle from me.

• Members

He is definatly considered one of the best ever. Amazing that he recovered the ability to play after destroying his hands with the crazy stuff he played in his early years.

What type of guitar was he playing during his sets?

He had a Taylor Doyle Dykes signature and a 12-string of a brand that I am not familiar with, both brought by him. He also used another Taylor DD signature, a T5, and a 200 series Taylor nylon that was the store's (he played at Bob's Guitars in Cedar Falls).

Archived