Any opinions on the Fishman Loudbox Mini?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

Surely, it is a fine amp, as Fishman makes good products all up and down the line.

But, for $399 you could get the new VOX ADA70 acoustice amp that has two complete channels with 1/4" and XLR inputs (with phantom power), 3-band EQ, independent reverb, chorus, and "color". Has DI out and stereo line in as well. It's 70 watts, and one of the channels has tube-preamp you can drive for some fat and warm tones if you like. 25 pounds.

Anyway, I'm going to get the VOX to replace my old Acoustisonic as soon as I can scrape the $$$ together.

Link to AGA70

• Members

You may be correct. I am basing my decision on the VOX AC4TV electric guitar amp I got last year. It was a new product then, and is totally fine in every regard. VOX is on the game now, and I'm betting the AGA70 will better the AGA150, which gets high praises.

I really dig the dual XLR inputs with phantom power, because I'll be able to use a condenser mic on the guitar without needing another preamp.

But yeah, the Fishman Mini is surely in the hunt for awesome compact acoustic amp.

Good times...

• Members

I really dig the dual XLR inputs with phantom power, because I'll be able to use a condenser mic on the guitar without needing another preamp.

But yeah, the Fishman Mini is surely in the hunt for awesome compact acoustic amp.

Fishman definitely took a calculated risk on providing only one XLR for the mic (and no phantom power), and just a 1/4" jack for the instrument. This helped to keep the price down, and they figured that most of the performing world uses dynamic mics and plug-in acoustics on stage. I'm betting that they're right.

If you do use a condenser onstage, or need an XLR for your guitar, you're probably in a different league, and so might also be able to spend more money for your system. The Loudbox is not for that kind of performance level. It's a small 60-watt compact amp that serves most acoustic setups.

I reviewed this amp for the Musician's Friend catalog (disclosure: who employs me but doesn't tell me what to write), and I found it to be a great deal. Typical Fishman excellence all the way. My only criticism in the design is that they provided 2-band EQ for the mic and 3-band for the instrument. I would have done it the other way around. Most people have EQ on their onboard guitar preamp, but not for their mic. So the more-detailed EQ would have been better suited to the mic channel.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've had the Fishman Mini for about a week now. I think basically amplifying a acoustic guitar is always mildly frustrating, especially when played via an onboard pre-amp, as in my case (Takamine EAN 10 C). That said, I find the sound very defined, and very natural and warm. I'm more than content with what I got. I've had the rare experience of getting exactly what I was looking for. It's the kind of gear that will give you a wave of joy everytime you use it*. I doubt, however, that the unit would be loud enough for a coffeehouse gig, so if you gig a lot and want to be on the save side, you might consider the Loudbox 100.

One thing, though, a few days back it kept frizzling everytime I turned it on. I attribute that to the fact that the amp was an exhibit piece. No problems since, though. I will wait some more days, and return it if the frizzle occurs again, but only to get another mini. Other than that, craftsmanship-wise, the unit makes an amazing impression. And it's far, far lighter and more compact - and better-looking - than the Marshall counterpiece.

* if you're as much a gear nerd as I am, that is.

Archived