Repairing a guitar case

Howie22

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Howie22 View Post
That may be something that happens in the future, if the problem worsens.

TAH suggested epoxy paint, and I liked that idea. However, epoxy paint costs about as much as another case would cost.
Okay. Here's the dealy. You're right. A properly reduced, 2-part epoxy "system" is expensive. Aviation quality is about $280.00 for a gallon kit of finish and catalyst. But there's a cheaper alternative I wasn't going to mention unless I caught a gist of experience on your part.

Z-Poxy is reducible to airbrush consistency. You mix in some black epoxy coloring agent (a good Ace Hardware has it) to the epoxy, add the catalyst and reducer (denatured alcohol) and quickly stir it up to ensure proper mixing. Load it into a touch-up gun and spray it on. Or, use one of those Pre-Val sprayers Ace sells ensuring you really clean the nozzle and paint suction tube well after spraying so you can use it again and/or until the propellent is gone. It will take several coats to opaque the case, sanding in between to remove imperfections, but it can be done. If you have about 20 years you can do a really nice job. Seriously, if you want a nice job it will take some work but it'll look great and better than that Tolex any day. Also, if you have some imperfections to fill just buy a small can of Bondo and in one full day's work you can have a prime-ready job. The reality of it is no particular method will be cheap, especially if you value your time, but a little creativity, cheap(er) materials and time to do it right will have good results.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pitar

View Post

I wasn't going to mention unless I caught a gist of experience on your part. . .no particular method will be cheap, especially if you value your time

I don't really have the experience or time for something like that. frown.gif

Archived