2nd/1st gutiar options

novamon

• Members

Ok, sorry the thread title is a little strange,

Basically, I have a MIM Fender Stanard Strat (2002), which was my first guitar. In 2004, I got a Schecter C1 Classic, which realy has become my main guitar, so I have been playing around with my strat, for projects etc.

For one thing, I had 11s in it for a while, which I think really messed up the neck bow when I returned back to 10s/9s. I also dismantled it a couple times, though it went back together well, and I have changed strings on it a couple times, and I fear that my technical skills aren't that great so the intonation has probably gone off a lot by now (actually I know it has, because I took the saddles out to look at them (notice that I don't play this guitar much). Finally, for a bit of an experiment, I bought myself a new pickguard and installed a set of EMGs (81/SA/SA).

Now, this guitar as you can probably tell has seen better days, and whenever I play it, it has this buzz (it has had this buzz for a while, before I started doing mods/dismantling it (actually I dismantled it to try and get rid of this buzz)). and the frets are vintage small frets so they don't feel as comfortable as the frets on my C1 Classic. Finally, the tremolo ain't that great either, and I'm afraid of it comming more out of tune or getting more buzzy.

Ok, so anyway, as much as I like my C1 Classic, I kinda miss my strat...and also would like to get some use out of my EMGs since they were rather expensive to buy at once.

So I have been thinking recently of basically upgrading everything and getting it set up by a professional (who could hopefully fix that buzz). I probably would not upgrade the frets because that itself would cost a lot, but I have considered a new nut/saddles/bridge because that's where I think the buzzing might be comming from.

The problem is, it's hard to find a good bridge that fits right into the guitar (I'm looking for a tremolo (vibrato) again since I'd like a guitar with one. MIM strats have different spacings (2-1/16 I think for string spacing and 52mm for the size of the bridge if I remember correctly). Also, well I probably should get this to a tech to install a new nut (and maybe even new tuners while I'm at it) and to look at the neck bow/frets.

(does anyone know if Long and McQuade guys would do all of this stuff?)

Anyway, all this seems to be adding up, and I would basically be getting a new guitar for all the mods I would be doing:

(probably:

Nut: 50$ + labour

Trem: $200 and up + labour

Setup: $50-100

I'm not sure of these prices but they seem ok for Canada.

and I think the labour parts would cost quite a bit, especailly if things need to be routed for the trem (oh and I might get them to fix the crappy wiring jobs I did on the EMGS.. $$$)

So I was thinking whether it would be appropriate to put back the original pickups in this, send it out for a simple setup (so that the buyer gets something that is hopefully playable) and just buy a new guitar...?

I don't have a huge amount of money to spend, but possibly up to around $1000 CDN, I'm kinda looking for a backup guitar or basically something with a different sound than the Schecter.

I'd like a nice trem that stays in tune, a place to put my EMGS (so that's 1 hum and 2 single coils), and hopefully nice playability.

So what do you guys think?

Sell and Buy

or Fix up

or possibly get a normal set up and see if a pro can get rid of the buzz etc.

• Members

You dismantled the Strat to get rid of the buzz? I don't understand that logic :confused: That's like rebuilding a house just because of a leaky roof. But honestly, I used to think that way when I started guitar too, until I found a guitar tech to take the time and show me the ropes.

I would get it set up and keep it. A new bridge will not solve the string buzz problem. Strings buzz comes from one or a combination of bowed neck, too low action, unlevel frets, or improperly cut nut. All of which can easily be adjusted by a tech. There is hope for this guitar. MIM Std's are pretty sturdy.

The resale value of MIM Std's is pretty low so I wouldn't sell it anyway, unless you're really desparate.

Archived