Tom Anderson Classic tuning problems

tlp123

• Members

This tuning problem must be special to me because I never so far have read about this. I have read that the Feiten tuning thing is supposed to be a good thing. Here's my deal though, as long as I've owned this thing, I have never been able to tune this thing to where it sounds right to me. I'm not a super picky player about these things either, which is why this bugs me even more. I've tried different strings saddles, floating and non-floating bridge adjustments, blah, blah, blah. I use .010. through .046 strings with action a little high for no fret buzz, as I play a heavy handed. I have emailed Roy Fought at Anderson, and he said call me with your guitar, tuner, and screwdriver and we'll get it right. I have not done that yet, because as long as I have had guitars, none of them have ever given me this much grief. I can't imagine that there is anything special or messed up about this axe other than me over looking some simple thing. Although I will say that the Korg DT-7 with the Feiten pre-sets brings it a little closer to my ear. The only intonation trick I have not tried (if you can call this a trick) is using a capo on the 12th fret to set the intonation rather than use fingers one string at a time. I have set up my guitars myself for years, and have never had one yet, that acted this way. Otherwise the guitar is fine for me, and I'm pleased with it as is. I bought it new in 1997, and have been the sole owner. As I say, I have done my own guitar work for 25 years, and have never run across this.

• Members

If you have beefy frets, finger pressure may be an issue here in intonation.

Using a capo at the 12th fret may give a different (higher) frequency than a fretted note using your usual playing pressure with fingers alone...even if you are "heavy handed".

By ALL MEANS talk to Roy directly. He is a wealth of technical info, and he possibly will even remember your individual guitar.

A real perk of owning an Anderson is having direct access to their 1st rate customer-technical service.

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

If you have beefy frets, finger pressure may be an issue here in intonation.

Using a capo at the 12th fret may give a different (higher) frequency than a fretted note using your usual playing pressure with fingers alone...even if you are "heavy handed".

By ALL MEANS talk to Roy directly. He is a wealth of technical info, and he possibly will even remember your individual guitar.

A real perk of owning an Anderson is having direct access to their 1st rate customer-technical service.

:cool:

+1

Great service at Anderson.

Archived