can i expose covered humbuckers???

mklein86

• Members

and having chrome covers put on my exposed pickups. The guitar tech said it would have no effect on tone.

No effect is no effect, either way, right?

So go for it! Unless you hear otherwise from a wiser source (and that should be easy enough.)

FM

• Members

You were hoping to change the SOUND, eh?

I should've paid closer attention -- my bad.

Well, since the guitar tech said there would be no change in tone for me, there probably would be no change for you either.

But go for it anyway, you might get some placebo/psychocitharic effect.

FM

• Members

It's possible, you could mess up the pickups though. I thought about doing the same thing once, but after reading some guides about how to do it I decided to leave the pickups alone :). It involves a lot of de-soldering and stuff, and then you'll have to remove a lot of dry wax from the pickup without cutting the ribbon that holds it together. Might as well buy some new pickups if you want something different.

• Members

Originally posted by flavormaus

and having chrome covers put on my exposed pickups. The guitar tech said it would have no effect on tone.

FM

Maybe, maybe not. One thing it absolutely WILL do is make your guitar easier to feed back if using multiple overdrives. I run 2 fuzzes, 4 overdrives, 2 distortions and 3 boosters and have 6 2-humbucker equipped guitars. All 6 have the covers off and no squealing problems. 3 of them squealed 'til I wasted $ potting the pups only to remove the covers & cure the problem.

• Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83

Maybe, maybe not. One thing it absolutely WILL do is make your guitar easier to feed back if using multiple overdrives. I run 2 fuzzes, 4 overdrives, 2 distortions and 3 boosters and have 6 2-humbucker equipped guitars. All 6 have the covers off and no squealing problems. 3 of them squealed 'til I wasted $ potting the pups only to remove the covers & cure the problem.

For God's sake, WHY do you run your guitar through all that electronic crap?

• Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83

Do you run them all at once???

:o :o :o

:o :o

:confused:

Archived