How to replace a push/pull pot with something better?

Sekator

• Members

Have a question: on my ESP baritone the controls are fairly spartan: just a push/pull pot that acts as a volume control when you turn it and the push/pull switches between the bridge and neck pickup.

I'm planning to replace the stock pickup with a Dimarzio X2N, but would like to have access to all of its wiring options: coil split, parallel and series.

Is my only option to drill a hole in the body and install another switch? Or is there some mega duper push/pull switch that would allow me to both control volume and switch between 4 different pickup wirings? (bridge series, bridge parallel, bridge coil split and the neck mini-humbucker)?

thanks

• Members

Well, there is no pickguard on your guitar ? If so, I don't think you have another option than to install a switch. Other option might require drilling openings for more than one additional component. I would suggest the megaswitch who is a 5way switch completely configurable, this way you could really setup any configuration you dream of with minimum cosmetic alterations to your guitar. You should experiment before setting on an option to make sure you really have a use for each of the four configurations you mentioned... Maybe you could get done with a 3 way and your actual push pull volume control. Also note that 3 way ononon mini switch looks more discrete.

Let us know of your final solution...

• Members

That's a pretty unusual configuration. So you've basically no way to run both p'ups at the same time? That kinda sucks...

Well, ordinarily I refrain from drilling into guitars but in this case I think we have the exception. I 'spose you first will have to see how much room's in your control cavity before you can decide what your options are.

At the bare minimum I would want a least a 3-way switch and 1 vol, 1 tone. That you can accomplish by drilling only one hole for the 3-way switch. Your existing pot you would replace with a dual concentric. Of course this setup doesn't give you the switching options you want.

Your best bet for switching and minimum drilling would be a rotary switch like you see used on various PRS models. You can get a 7-way switch, wire it for different coil combinations and still only drill one hole. Again you'd be using a dual concentric for vol/tone.

If you wanted seperate vol/tone for each pickup like traditional LP 2vol, 2tone setup, using a second dual concentric would only require you to drill one more hole. So, by drilling only two holes (provided your control cavity has enough room), you can go to a 2 volume, 2 tone with 7-way pickup switching, no problem.

Piece of cake!

Archived