conditioning fretboard

gibsg

• Members

What do you guys use to condition your guitar fretboard?

My friend suggested tung oil or lighter liquid.

I was using lemon oil and it turned out to be deteriorating my fretboard.

• Members

You'll get as many answers as there are registered users here at HC - well not quite, but this is a very opinionated subject.

First off, ligher fluid is Naptha - a great solvent but wont nourish your fingerboard.

I've used Linseed oil (the boiled variety) since the '70s and never, ever, no NEVER had a problem. Just apply a small amount to a clean soft rag, rub over the fingerboard, allow to soak in for a few minutes, wipe up the excess and you're good to go.

Others will mention mineral oil, but I'm concerned that this may soften the fingerboard.

Gerlitz Guitar Honey will be mentiond - I've used it, seems to work just fine.

Lemon Oil - just lemon scent added to mineral oil. You've noted that it left you fingerboard dry.

Bore oil (for woodwinds) will also get mentioned. This can be some exotic concoction of rare tropical oils, or simply mineral oil.

• Members

Im using a rosewood fretboard. The lemon oil has already caused harm to my fretboard (certain areas of the fretboard seems to be fading).

What will be recommend to solve this problem ? which is the best solution for conditioning the fretboard occasionally ?

Archived