Fat "C" shape neck, with high fret access?

Alanfc

• Members

I made the mistake of playing this old weathered hardtail Strat today, expensive, felt really perfect.. and the chunky neck, how incredibly comfortable. I don't know what the neck width or radius was. Then come home to my Carvin which I love for its high fret access and neck thru body, but slim "D' shape neck. Its making me think this is why I still haven't gotten totally used to it yet, and I've had it since last September!

The Strat had a similar feel to the old Kramer I played for the last 20+ years.

so is there any make/model/year of guitar that has both a chunky neck and high fret access? On my Carvin I have 24 frets.

thanks

• Members

AFAIK, the Chunky C necks only come with a 7.25 radius and 21 Frets. Warmoth can make Chunky type shapes for different radius sizes though: vintage, modern, compound. You can also add a 24 fret option.

Not too sure about other (non-Fender) guitars though.

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

I'm sure there is plenty, but the only one I have is this, but they're quite rare

Neck is suprisingly chunky for the style of guitar.

Indie Guitar Company / Dragon / 2003

Dragon%20new%20Web.jpg

holy damn !! that's a beauty !!

How much do they cost ?

• Members

Originally posted by Kable

AFAIK, the Chunky C necks only come with a 7.25 radius and 21 Frets. Warmoth can make Chunky type shapes for different radius sizes though: vintage, modern, compound. You can also add a 24 fret option.

Not too sure about other (non-Fender) guitars though.

OK thanks-

maybe a small radius is my thing? I'm really a 1 guitar guy and haven't played alot of different ones over the years.

here's what the old Strat was-does this sound like any Fender era/model you know? I'll be going through Fender fan sites too.:

-finish on the headstock all yellowish (age)

-hardtail

-gold bridge/tailpiece

-rosewood fretboard

-headstock I =think= was huge

-sort of a translucent maroon finish

-black pickguard and pickups

-black knobs

Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by Alanfc

OK thanks-

maybe a small radius is my thing? I'm really a 1 guitar guy and haven't played alot of different ones over the years.

here's what the old Strat was-does this sound like any Fender era/model you know? I'll be going through Fender fan sites too.:

-finish on the headstock all yellowish (age)

-hardtail

-gold bridge/tailpiece

-rosewood fretboard

-headstock I =think= was huge

-sort of a translucent maroon finish

-black pickguard and pickups

-black knobs

Thanks

It's hard to tell. Could be a burgundy mist maybe or a faded Candy Apple Red (sometimes looks a little maroonish). I don't recall black pickguards/knobs and gold hardware then though. There are newer strats in Midnight Wine with black pickguards, and it could have been one of those.

There were no hardtails then either, but rosewoods, 7.25, and Chunky C -- pretty much 60's features -- if that's what it is.

The bigger headstocks didn't come around until the late 60's, I think.

Did it look anything like this?

fen00strat60s-burg.jpg

That's a MIM 60's reissue strat in burgundy mist. If not, then the closest I could think would be midnight wine, which is one of the newer colors I think.

Here's a standard strat in midnight wine:

mex-stnd-satin-wine.jpg

Anyways, the next time you hit a shop, ask if they have 60's reissue Strat or Tele around. There's also MIA reissue 62 Teles, 62 Strats, 62 Jags and 62 JM's (as well as the Made In Japan 60 reissue models). AFAIK, the best things Fender sells these days. See if you get can get hand on one of them, and compare it to that other guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

I'm sure there is plenty, but the only one I have is this, but they're quite rare

Neck is suprisingly chunky for the style of guitar.

Indie Guitar Company / Dragon / 2003

Dragon%20new%20Web.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Members

OK thanks-

the guitar in your first picture isn't quite it, the second picture is closer, except forthe fretboard. It really seemed truly old rather than newly made retro or whatever.

If I can today at lunch I'll go over to the shop again and get the serial number.

I really shouln't be lusting after a $900+ right now but maybe I can ID the elements I like about it and keep shopping...

by the way, would we say that part of the Strat tone =is= the tremelo, blocked or not. I mean the cavity plays a role yes? Maybe I don't need to bang my head trying to find a hard tail after all. Just blocking the tremelo. I've done this on my Carvin too..

thanks

• Members

Originally posted by Alanfc

by the way, would we say that part of the Strat tone =is= the tremelo, blocked or not. I mean the cavity plays a role yes? Maybe I don't need to bang my head trying to find a hard tail after all. Just blocking the tremelo. I've done this on my Carvin too..

thanks

I think it's part of it, but other factors go in as well. It's always good to have around anyways, I think, even if you don't want it. Like you said, you can just block it, but at least you have the option for later. Plus, that way you'll retain whatever it is that the cavity brings to the equation.

Anyways, good luck.

• Members

OK so I went to the store to play this guitar again, and got some real info,

serial # S-937041

the tech said that was late 70's

headstock was giagantic

the radius at the nut was 7.25

and at the high frets it was 9.5-10

it had been refretted at some point, the tech said

Is this "vintage" sort of dimensions.? I mean if I'm on the lookout for vintage re-issues or something.

with a 7.25 radius is this almost certainly a 1 5/8" nut width?

I tried another one there that looked siginificantly newer, had a nut width of 1 11/16' , USA ser # DZ0071878. I'll check on that age. But it seemed too flat and wide.

the common thing on these was the neck shape !! Now I've confirmed I'm a 'C' man for sure. I need to make sure I play alot of them in person, no straight buy from Ebay like I did with the Carvin ;)

thanks for listenin

Archived