lap steel/I made this

slider

• Members

here is a pic of my second lap steel. the body is mahogany. the pickup is a Seymour Duncan antiquity. the bridge , knobs, and tuners are from stewmac. the rest I made from scratch. the cover plate is brass. I didnt like the shiney new look so I patinaed it. simply, I poured some amonia into a bucket then suspended the brass coverplate over it. sealed the bucket and let it sit overnight. afterwards I put a clear coat on it .

this lap plays really well. lots of sustain and a nice mellow tone. the pup really is nice.

someone was able to bring this image up and re post it. thanks. I appreciate it.

there is a double posting now. think I'll leave it.

P2020013.jpg

• Members

the nut was made from square stock stainless steel. I drilled two holes and attached it to an angled piece of maple. that way I could hold it against my table grinder at a good angle. then it was simply and slowly ground to almost a 45 degree angle. it turned out machined and clean looking. I sawed and then filed the nut for the strings.

the mahogany is a solid piece 1 5/8 thick. I started from a rough cut slab. planed and sanded to the finished thickness.
I arrived at this thickness from using an old lap steel as refference.
I imagine a thinner slab could work.
the headstock is angled back. I used a bandsaw for the rough pout work. then alot of hand work.
the fretboard is handmade. I made a template from the old lap steel as a guide. there is a mathematical way of figuring it out. I took a simpler,less math challenging route. there are mistakes on the fret board because m saw jumped a few times. the spacing on a few frets are off by millimeters. still works since it is high action slide guitar.
the fretboard is ebony from a sales bin.

Archived