Gibson SG's

Janglin_Jack

• Members

Do all Gibson SG's have the neck PU positioned closer to the bridge? It appears they are all positioned closer to the bridge, like a twenty four fret guitar, but on the twenty two fret models, there is a gap between the neck and were the PU is positioned.

Is there any variation on neck PU placement on SG's or is this consistant with this model?

Jack

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

AFAIK, all SG's are done like that. It may do with the 24th harmonic, Ed Roman has serious issues with pickups being placed under it, but i don't know how much difference it really makes.

From what i remember from my woodworking days, it was done that way to improve the stability of the neck joint. The body on an SG is thinner, couple this with the fact that very little of the neck would go into the body otherwise and create a very fragile joint.

• Members

I recently got an SG Standard and at first thought that was strange as well. But I have to say now that I absolutely LOVE how the neck pickup is positioned closer to the bridge in general (not just that little bit away from the neck) on the SG. Before I got it I was playing a strat with dual humbuckers and I found that using just the neck pickup was always way too bassy and muddy even with the tone turned all the way up. After I got the SG I realized that this was because the neck pickup is positioned so much farther from the bridge on the strat...a full two inches farther than on the SG. Now with the SG I find myself almost always using the neck pickup only because I love the balance of warmth and brightness that it has. I'm curious: is the neck pickup on a Les Paul positioned the same distance from the bridge as on the SG, or is it farther away?

• Members

They are both 23 3/4" scale length. I think the bridge PU are in the same position, and from what I can gather the SG neck PU is closer to the bridge. Most Les Pauls the PU is positioned under the 24th "fret" harmonic, while the SG is further away from the nut, closer to the bridge. I had a Les Paul Standard Double Cut with 24 frets that was like the SG, they had to move the neck PU further down to accomodate the 24 fret neck.

I always thought the SG sounded different because it was thinner, less wood, but it now appears it has more to do with the neck PU than anything else.

Thanks,
Jack

• Members

Originally posted by Janglin_Jack

They are both 23 3/4" scale length. I think the bridge PU are in the same position, and from what I can gather the SG neck PU is closer to the bridge. Most Les Pauls the PU is positioned under the 24th "fret" harmonic, while the SG is further away from the nut, closer to the bridge. I had a Les Paul Standard Double Cut with 24 frets that was like the SG, they had to move the neck PU further down to accomodate the 24 fret neck.

I always thought the SG sounded different because it was thinner, less wood, but it now appears it has more to do with the neck PU than anything else.

Thanks,

Jack

they are 24 3/4" scales actually.

The Les Pauls neck pickup is not in the same place as the SG.

The SG does sound different from a LP because it has A LOT less wood, not to mention no maple at all.

Archived