Ibanez RG....

surge

• Members

Okay, I'm looking at the Ibanez RG series, question : What's the difference between, 170, 270, 370, etc....? DX no DX? I need clarity on this situation, can anyone help me on this? Thanks. Also would like to know your opinion on this line of guitars.

• Members

The higher the number (well the first digit) the better the guitar. the 1** series is the lowest POS line, the 5**/15** (same thing, but Ibanez renumbered them for 2004 when they updated them to the "Prestige" level) are pretty much the top of the line (with some other models that are "better", but they're not as common).

The DX models pretty much are standard, but with a fancy top.

If you're looking for one, definately look either at the old 5** series, or the new 15** series. The lower number models have lower quality components (especially the bridge).

• Members

Originally posted by bubkus_jones

The higher the number (well the first digit) the better the guitar. the 1** series is the lowest POS line, the 5**/15** (same thing, but Ibanez renumbered them for 2004 when they updated them to the "Prestige" level) are pretty much the top of the line (with some other models that are "better", but they're not as common).

If you're looking for one, definately look either at the old 5** series, or the new 15** series. The lower number models have lower quality components (especially the bridge).

Hey thanks! So say I had my eye on a 550 (the ones with the maple fretboards) that would be pretty good right?

• Members

Originally posted by surge

Hey thanks! So say I had my eye on a 550 (the ones with the maple fretboards) that would be pretty good right?

Hey, thats the same one I was looking at (before I decided to build my own guitar). Definately a good one.

• Members

Originally posted by superpoo

whats the word on 321's? i love the look and i love those necks, but how do they sound?

I have mine on right now as I type this. They're not the greatest sounding, and super light, but it looks like they offer the Mahogany in other colors this year so you don't have to get basswood if you want blue. They should sound better I'm guessing...

• Members

RG 170 and 270 are GRG series, cheap materials, no wizard (similar though) neck, made in Indonesia.

RG321 is a hardtail HSH guitar, Mahogany in the US, Basswood in Europe.

RG320 is a HH guitar, flamed maple top

RG370 is a HSH guitar, no fancy things. The DX has sharkteeh inlays

RG350s are like the 370s, but with a pickguard and different color choices.

They all have the licenced Floyd design Edge Pro II which is VERY comfortable and better looking ( I think) than a standard Floyd. Their quality is ok. Those models are made in Korea. They have Powersound pickups and Wizard II necks but the 2005 models will have ING pups and 3 pieces wizard II... I don't know the difference. They'll also have the Egde pro III

In the Prestige line (Made in Japan) you have the 1*** series:

1550: maple neck, pickguard, HSH

1570: Like 370DX

They both have better pickups (V7 and V8) and thinner necks (super wizard)

The 1527 has 7 strings

The 1670EX has a piezo bridge I think, not sure though

The 2**** series all have DiMarzio designed IBZ pickups

The 3**** series all have DiMarzios (usually Blue Velvet in middle and some combo using PAF pro and Airnorton I think for bridge/neck)

I hope this helps. They're all great guitars for the price. Ah also, the RGT series are neck thru.

• Members

I have the 321MH, or MOL, anyway, its the natural mahogany body. The colored 321s (black), are basswood bodies.

Anyway, I bought it on a whim. I have higher end Ibanezes (RG770, had 550s, etc.). Well, I love this little guitar. Great, fast neck, and a nice mahogany body and sounds great - nice chunk, sings for lead. All you need to do is change out the pickups for something better eventually. I'd say go with the mahogany one. I think for the price, the mahogany one is a great deal.

• Members

I picked up an RG320DXQMsomethingsomething a couple years ago as a backup. It caught my eye with a funky quilt top, so I gave her a spin. Not a bad little guitar. Hard to beat Ibanez for the price. Mine has the shark tooth inlays and the floyd bridge, with pewter or black chrome hardware. If you want one, get one, but like someone already mentioned, the pickups need to go...

• Members

Some corrections.

Starting 2003, the year the RG5xx was upgraded to the RG15xx, the japanese made RG4xx was pushed up as the standard line, taking the place of RG5xx. The RG1xxx is actually considered to be of a higher standard than RG5xx starting that year.

The 2003 RG4xx is almost exactly like the RG1xxx, same bridge, same pickups, same materials, only difference is that the neck size and the lacked of prestige treatment and the body jack input is placed differently.

All RG45x from that year onwards come with mirror pickguard, neck binding and sharktooth inlay.

In all honesty, if you don't mind the missing Prestige neck(from what I heard, not missing much as Japanese made Ibanez always had good QC) and want a cooler lookin guitar, a 2003 onwards RG450 is a pretty good bargain.

Only drawback might be that it is a little hard to find. It's mainly for sale in the Asia and Europe market.

Here is mine, after two years, although a little beaten up(due to gigs, countless hours jam sessions and recordings), the bridge is still working perfectly fine.

• Members

I have an RG370DX. I'm told the DX stands for deluxe. For a cheap guitar it's very decent. The quality has come up and prices gone down. I recommend you try one - good action, neck, trem, hardward - also very versatile and cheap! I say you can't go wrong. However, I just bought a Highway 1 strat and it's amazing. Have to now sell the Ibanez to pay for it. A shame to lose the Ibanez, but then you buy and play what suits you at the time. G'luck

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by bubkus_jones

so my RG770 is really good then???

• Members

I have an RG450DX. I've had it for a couple years and bought it used. Not sure when it was made and I don't know a single thing about it. It is black with a smoke chrome pickguard, shark tooth inlays, good feel on the neck. I switched out the stock pups with SD 59 and JB. I don't think it is the best sounding pups I could have chosen. I want to switch them out for a Dimarzio of some sort, maybe a fred. I played an RG with a fred in it that sounded awesome. My Schecter has the 59/jb combo and is awesome. So unless I don't have the height correct I just don't think the Ibanez sounds as good as it should. I would get a 550 or up. Everyone I know with those has no complaints.

Archived