Gibson SG Replacement Parts

head_banger05

• Members

Hey

I cracked the body of my SG. Everything else is fine (neck, pickups, electronics, etc). I emailed gibson several times with this question, and have gotten no response. Is it possible to replace the body of the guitar? Just the body, nothing else. If you can, would it be cheaper to replace the whole guitar or what? Any help/advice is great.

• Members

I'd say replacing the body of the guitar is fairly equal to replacing the entire thing.

What kind of crack is it and where? Any pics?

If there's a possibility of repair, you could look into that. I'd be expecting to replace the entire guitar though.

• Members

IMO by replacing the entire guitar is just burning your money. if the guitar plays fine i'd keep it and the money. If it's a big burden and it's about the split the guitar in half, replace it. cosmetic, keep jamming on it, that's just my opinion

-Jon

• Members

If it is not missing chunks of wood, and the wound is clean, I think most cracks will respond well to being glued and clamped. We just had an SG through that had the neck broken clean off, leaving some good cracks in the body as well. When it came back from the tech, it had come together beautifully, and played great. The repair cost about $100. The finish can often be shaded or touched up to hide these repairs if you want to spend the cash. One of my Sgs took a tumble and the headstock broke off, and the reglue with finish touch up was about $100 with setup and strings. I vote repair unless things are far more dire than I have guessed!

Archived