Strat Fingerboard, Maple or Rosewood?

Pondo

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

acoustically, definently. It's one of the only occasions I will admit that a material makes a difference.

Maple to my ears sounds a lot brighter and more resonant.

Even more so one a one piece maple neck.

• Members

Maple has a attenuated frequency in the hi mids area but a good amount in the very high treble area. Rosewood has a more flat or balanced response. Maple therefore tends to sound like lots of lows and low-mids and very high end leaving them more suseptable to problem in a live mix due to room acoustics. Maple's low end is tighter. Rosewood has more harmonic overtones in lower gain and clean settings of the amp giving it a richer sound generally.

I personally like rosewood a lot more because these differences make it a more versitile sound. But all that said, there are some that don't seem to hear the difference, so whether you will or not is hard to say. to me it's nite and day which is why i would never choose one over the other just for looks or feel. But luckily for me i happen to prefer rosewood in all ways, not just tone.

• Members

Originally posted by Europa760

just think about the woods themselves. maple is harder. so youll intuitively think to yourself, that the softer wood, would dampen more frequencies than a harder wood.

Just think about how often the string actually touches the wood, and how full of crap a lot of people are about a lot of this. :D

//S

• Members

Originally posted by Shocker

Just think about how often the string actually touches the wood, and how full of crap a lot of people are about a lot of this.
:D

//S

im always full of crap. im actually one of the dumbest cats to walk the planet.

Archived