tele pickups shootout

emokidmcgee

• Members

hey i'm probably going to be buying pickups for an american tele and i'm trying to decide on which route to take. the sound i'm going for is jangley to biting for the bridge and smooth/bell-like tones for the neck. don't need much crunch. i'll be using this in a post rock band (godspeed you black emperor, mogwai, explosions in the sky, mono, etc.) also i'd like to keep the look of them standard (black for bridge chrome for neck.) as for price i'm willing to spend around $100 for the pair. any ideas?

• Members

Originally posted by emokidmcgee

hey i'm probably going to be buying pickups for an american tele and i'm trying to decide on which route to take. the sound i'm going for is jangley to biting for the bridge and smooth/bell-like tones for the neck. don't need much crunch. i'll be using this in a post rock band (godspeed you black emperor, mogwai, explosions in the sky, mono, etc.) also i'd like to keep the look of them standard (black for bridge chrome for neck.) as for price i'm willing to spend around $100 for the pair. any ideas?

Have you thought about using the stock PUs?

I have a 96' MIA that was my number one for 6-7 years and I love the PUs. I shielded it, put a 4-way switch in and put a Pearloid PG on.

I bought a MIM in 01' and put Texas Specials in it along with the above mods. The frets are a little smaller, but other than that the guitar is a fine instrument.

The TS PUs are pretty cool if you're looking for a little more bite, snarl and growl. They're hotter than my older stock's by about 15-20%.

Archived