Neckthrough maple & mahogany body on a strat?

woude

• Members

A friend of mine has a custombuilt guitar with a neckthrough maple neck with an ebony fingerboard and a mahogany body. He has Seymour duncan humbucker pickups in it and it sounds super fat and it sustains like no other! I personally like the sound of single coil strats more. So...

Question:

If I would have a stratocaster type guitar built with the same woodchoices as this guitar, but with regular singlecoils in it and a normal strat bridge and setup, how would it sound? Will it be a lot different than a bolt-on maple neck / alder body strat soundwise, and if so, what would you prefer? Does it contrubute to the typical stratocaster sound?

If this neckthrough design is really better, is it worth it to get a strat custom built for it instead of buying a regular fender stratocaster?

• Members

Yes, it will likely sound a bit different. "Better" is subjective. Some folks for example think neckthrus are lacking in the bass end of things. The biggest disadvantage is that you won't easily find something to check out the neckthru/single coil combo before forking out a bunch of money for a custom made instrument.

• Members

Originally posted by woude

If I would have a stratocaster type guitar built with the same woodchoices as this guitar, but with regular singlecoils in it and a normal strat bridge and setup, how would it sound? Will it be a lot different than a bolt-on maple neck / alder body strat soundwise, and if so, what would you prefer? Does it contrubute to the typical stratocaster sound?

Yes it will certainly be different. I'm sure it would be a good sounding guitar, but it wont give you a Stratocaster sound. I am a Strat guy and I love bolt on necks so I would never go for something like this.

If this neckthrough design is really better, is it worth it to get a strat custom built for it instead of buying a regular fender stratocaster?

In my opinion a neck through design is in no way superior to a bolt on design.

I personally like the sound of single coil strats more.

Get a Fender!

• Members

Originally posted by MarshallTim

Yes it will certainly be different. I'm sure it would be a good sounding guitar, but it wont give you a Stratocaster sound. I am a Strat guy and I love bolt on necks so I would never go for something like this.

In my opinion a neck through design is in now way superior to a bolt on design.

Get a Fender!

Ok, those replies are very clear! No necktrough for me then :)

What about mahogany body instead of alder?

What about ebony fingerboard instead of rosewood / maple?

Thanks!

• Members

Not a Carvin bolt but a Carvin DC. The DC is basically a neckthrough Strat, and can be ordered with mahagony wings and sindle coils if you like. The Basic DC 127 is maple neck through and alder wings with neck and bridge humbuckers, you choose the bridge you want and sells for about $630. direct from Carvin. Super axe great price.

• Members

I thought his previous post he'd changed his mind about the neck through. Also, the DC is a 25" scale as opposed to the Bolt's 25 1/2" scale.

But at the end of the day, just about any Carvin is a good choice.:D

• Members

What about mahogany body instead of alder?

Mahogany is a very warm sounding wood with a lot of sustain so it obviously makes for a good guitar wood. Alder is definatley lighter than mahagany and has been used on Fender bodies for years. If you want a truly original Strat sound I suggest an ash or alder body. Mahogany would sound good, but it would infringe on the original Strat tone. If you want a Strat with a little bit of warmth, then maybe a mahogany body is for you. It all depends on what sound you want. Every little detail can affect your sound, so it's extremly important to know what sound you want.

What about ebony fingerboard instead of rosewood / maple?

This is another personaly preferance. I love maple fretboards, almost all of my guitars have them however some people don't like them at all. I suggest you go to a guitar center and play a few guitars just to get a feel for the texture of the wood. It also depends on what color your guitar will be. Les Pauls look great with rosewood and ebony boards, but the don't look so great with maple.

Exactly what sound are you after? Do you want an authentic vintage sounding strat? or are you looking for more of a modern sound?

Archived