Kahler is BACK

• Members

In like 93 or 94 i built a red warlock bass with a kahler bass tremolo on it. Man that was one nutty thing. It got stolen about 2-3 months later, i still have some video i took some where but thats about all i have.

I built a guitar and matching bass red with black hardware. They both were stolen the same day along with a purple fretless saber ibanez bass. I think the guitar warlock had an old floyd on it.

Kahler was very inovative, they had alot of cool parts. The locking nut they built you didnt need a tool for, they were like flip locks. Then they had a tremolo that had posts there were the knife edge so you could replace them if you needed to.

• Members

Originally posted by unistudent1980

But jeez $300 for a locking trem? It's a bit steep when an OFR is $150. Are Jahlers really that much of an improvement?

You either like them or you don't. Some guys from the 80s swear by Kahlers (Slayer for example). Others swear by floyds.

Personally, I did like the smoothness of kahler and the action it provided, but I just couldn't get over the locknut. There is a real nut on the guitar and the locknut is usually located behind it on the headstock and thats just something I never liked the look of from both a cosmetic standpoint and a cosmetic standpoint whereby there's something else for the strings to potentially snag on.

Originally posted by lloop9

btw, does any kahler directly retro fit those licensed floyd crappies?

It depends which model. The ofr and the Kahler Flyer were direct retrofit tremolos. The Spider was a retrofit aswell, but the spider was mainly destined for the cheaper asian imports. Not that it was bad tremolo, but why have a Spider when you could have an OFR?

The Kahler Flatmounts (the ones most people are excited about) are not direct retrofits for the usualy licenced floyd jobbies. Their rout is very very different. Check out the bridge routing page on warmoth.com and you will see what I mean!

I have three guitars with Kahlers on them. I love them all! I did have more, but I didn't like them so much for whatever reason and sold them. However, I still have a BC Rich Warlock, Charvel M6 and a Jackson Dinky loaded with kahlers and they are pure shredder heaven. In general though, if I had to choose, I would still take an OFR or a schaller rose, simply because thats what I'm most comfortable with myself!

Jon

• Members

I agree with Sparkytfl. There seem to be no parts for the older models, at the new website. Kahler once had an advertisment saying there were more than "100 000 guitars made with Kahler trems". If that is true, there are probably some 100 000 guitarists today, who need spare parts. Hope the new Kahler organisation see the opportunity selling parts to us with guitars from the 80s.

• Members

Here's my '86 Jackson (San Dimas factory), with a Kahler. I love it. It definately feels different than a Floyd, but it's awesome all the same. I always thought it had alot to do with the awesome resonance this guitar has, not having that huge route like a Floyd. I'm glad Kahler is back, I was starting to think I was going to have to start stockpiling spare part just in case. I already bought a locking nut, but that's all. So far though, it's all original atill works perfectly.

100_0975_0001.jpg

Archived