Are the Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless keepers?

zanemoseley

• Members

Originally posted by zanemoseley

I'm considering a MIA fender deluxe strat which comes with the Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups. Are they keepers?

To my ears, yes. Bill Lawrence (the real one, from VA, not the guy who stole his name in CA) had a hand in codesigning them and it shows.

• Members
Originally posted by Teleken

To my ears, yes. Bill Lawrence (the real one, from VA, not the guy who stole his name in CA) had a hand in codesigning them and it shows.

Actually, Bill Laurence isn't even his real name, and he SOLD hte trade name to his ex-business partner.

• Members

I took the SCN's off my 50th deluxe just as soon as I had the money to buy replacements. It's just my opinion but I'm soory I wasted my money on a 2004 Anniv. model. I should have just bought a used Amer. Delux and swapped pups. I still have the SCN's, they're in a draw where the will probably spend the next 20 yrs. Nothing special about the S1 switch either. IMO, a bunch of usless tones that are fun at bedroom levels but get lost in the mix at rehearsal.

• Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

Actually, Bill Laurence isn't even his real name, and he SOLD hte trade name to his ex-business partner.

Depends on which version of the story you want to believe. Yes, I'm well aware his real name is Willi Stich - talked to both him and Becky, his wife on numerous occasions. Bottom line is if you want REAL Bill Lawrence pickups, made by the man himself, they come from Willi, not the guy in CA making cheap knockoffs.

• Members

Originally posted by GTM

I took the SCN's off my 50th deluxe just as soon as I had the money to buy replacements. It's just my opinion but I'm soory I wasted my money on a 2004 Anniv. model. I should have just bought a used Amer. Delux and swapped pups. I still have the SCN's, they're in a draw where the will probably spend the next 20 yrs. Nothing special about the S1 switch either. IMO, a bunch of usless tones that are fun at bedroom levels but get lost in the mix at rehearsal.

So what do you reccomend.

• Members

Do you have a local dealer with an Am Dlx in stock so you can try 'em out? I was skeptical after my experience with the "Vintage Noiseless" pickups in Strats from years past, but I plugged in an Am Dlx at Guitar Center before I ordered mine and it sounded exactly what I expect a good Strat to sound like, responsive to pick dynamics with the frequency response right in all the places that matter. Pleased to report the one I own has all the same attributes.

• Members

Ya I"m going to a guitar center in nashville on Thursday. If I like it I"m gonna get one from a small local shop. They actually have a $50 lower price than musicians friend.

Coming from someone that worked for GC when I was a kid (Burbank, IL - 83rd and Cicero), be sure they don't try to screw you into paying extra for the OHSC. That guitar should be right at $1K (or less) plus tax, OHSC and all case candy inclusive. I'd recommend calling in advance to ensure they have one for you to play - my local one here in Fenderland (Scottsdale, AZ) only had one in stock when I came in to try 'em out.

• Members

What I am trying to say is (IMO) there is nothing special about these SCN pickups. I would have done much better shopping for a used American deluxe and installing any number of quality replacement pickups. However some people are happy buying stock and keeping it that way. I originally swapped the SCN's with a set of Rio Grande's that sounded great but are prone to noise. Currently I have a set of Lace Drop & Gain (HSH) on that guitar. I've heard very good things about Dimarzio virtual vintage. By all means try before you buy and avoid the

• Members

Originally posted by nutsack

I've tried a couple of the new Strats with the SCN's. They don't sound right to me. Too "vanilla" sounding, they got no hair on em .
:D

Definitely not my experience. One thing I did notice is that my preference for pickup heights is definitely different from Fender factory specs. Nice thing about SCNs (and to be fair, most noiseless pickup designs) is that there's very little magnetic string pull, so you can dial those puppies right beneath the strings if you want. I keep mine with a lot of air between the pickups and the strings, but that's just my preference for tonal reasons - nothing to stop you from going the other direction.

• Members

I'm considering a MIA fender deluxe strat which comes with the Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups. Are they keepers?

Opinions are like assholes (there all over this forum). I get customers who ask about pickup swaps. I will only do it if they can tell me what their current guitar lacks.

You have to play the guitar with your gear & decide if they sound good to you.

The overall opinion ( there I said it too) is that they are dead quiet & very bell like & clear, but lake the rawness ( and the horrible noise) that a set of Texas Specials can provide.

• Members

So is the optimum middle pickup position right beneath the strings for blues rock. Thats one thing I"m worried about a strat because I"m used to playing a dual humbucker guitar so I pick most of the time between the pickups. I think if the middle pickup is too high then I might have an issue with strumming/picking. Anyone have an issue like this.

• Members

So is the optimum middle pickup position right beneath the strings for blues rock. Thats one thing I"m worried about a strat because I"m used to playing a dual humbucker guitar so I pick most of the time between the pickups. I think if the middle pickup is too high then I might have an issue with strumming/picking. Anyone have an issue like this.

I haven't had any problems worth mentioning, and the Strat is my only 3 pickup guitar - the Teles, Gretsch, Gibsons and Ibanez are all 2 pickup guitars.

Archived