Move volume knob?

Brodequin

• Members

Because of my playing technique, I have a problem playing guitars where the volume knob is close to the bridge pickup. Any estimates for how much a guitar shop would charge to move the knob? Is this something that could be a problem for a guitar tech to do? Would it cause any issues to remove the tone knob and relocate the volume knob there? Its frustrating not being able to consider so many ESPs, Jackson's, Ibanez's, etc., because of this.

• Members

Depends on what you want done to the existing hole in the body (plugged/refin/what have ya) and the amount of work to move it to your desired location.

If there is not enough room in the existing cav or you are looking to move outside of the cav, it's gonna take a whole lot more work and more work = more money :)

• Members

What kind of guitar is this? Does it have a pickguard? If it is a Strat, Vintage Clubber was selling Strat pickguards that had holes laid out for Master Volume/Master Tone with the holes moved down away from the bridge. PM Vintage Clubber and see if he can still get them.

• Members

I'm not worried about plugging the hole. For guitars I'm looking at, like the Ibanez RG series or some Jackson Dinky/Soloist (maybe the ESPs too), the volume and tone electronics are in the same cavity in the body of the guitar. So to move the knob, I'm guessing that might involve extending the wires connecting the volume control and doing something with the tone control. I'd be fine just leaving the tone control in the cavity if it fit and could be secured. That scenario don't seem to extreme. I have no clue as to what's required if the tone control has to be removed.

• Members

Originally posted by progrules

For me it's the opposite, I look for guitars with volume knobs close to the bridge pup, so I can do volume swells
:D

Yep I like Strats where I can control the volume with my pinky finger.

• Members

If your aren't worried about the hole, then take why not just take the nuts off the tone and volume pots, put the volume pot where the tone pot used to be, turn the tone to 10 and leave it in the electronics cavity? You don't even need to solder anything like that, but you lose your tone control.

If you want to keep the tone control, a dual concentric pot costs about $10 and puts both the tone and volume on one pot. It would be a matter of soldering 4 or 5 wires and shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes or so to do. I can't imagine that a tech would charge more than an hour's labor for something like that, but I'd do it myself.

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

If your aren't worried about the hole, then take why not just take the nuts off the tone and volume pots, put the volume pot where the tone pot used to be, turn the tone to 10 and leave it in the electronics cavity? You don't even need to solder anything like that, but you lose your tone control.

If you want to keep the tone control, a dual concentric pot costs about $10 and puts both the tone and volume on one pot. It would be a matter of soldering 4 or 5 wires and shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes or so to do. I can't imagine that a tech would charge more than an hour's labor for something like that, but I'd do it myself.

I've thought about that, but wasn't sure that it would work. First, I didn't know if the wiring to the volume knob would be long enough and whether it might require soldering additional wire. I would only discover that after buying the guitar. Second, the point about leaving the tone control in the cavity seems like a good idea, but I'm also worried it might be too big to fit in the cavity. What I'll probably do first is take a look at the wiring of one of my guitars and see how things fit.

And thanks for the suggestion on the dual concentric pot. I'd never heard of that before. Not sure if I might use that, but I'll keep it in mind.

• Members

If the problem is bumping it with your finger, you can always try using different knobs or pots that will have more resistance to rotating. Or, you could just try to stop hitting the knob :)

I like prages' idea...tacking on some extra wire length to relocate the pot, if required is no big deal.

Archived