body mod. question.

• Members
Originally posted by musicofthemind9

how much would it cost to get the bridge pickup slot cut out to fit a humbucker? and how would a gibson type hb sound in a fender strat? thanx.
:)

Nothing if you have a router... I thought most strats were routed HSH, SSH, or swimming pool anyway.

It shouldn't be too hard, not at all... whatever you paid would be a rip though, because anyone with marginal experience with a router could do it. You would never ever see it if you did mess up.

And about Gibby pups, it all depends on which one... most would say go for something not intended for a mahogany bodied guitar.

Or you could just get a single coil sized bucker for it.

• Members

lol. im sorry. i dont know what all that technical stuff means. hsh, hss, swimming pool, router and all the other stuff. i was just wondering, because i cant do it myself(i dont know how), how much it would cost to get the pickup slot in the bridge cutout to fit a humbucker and what ever else it needs to be able to play a humbucker(burstbucker). and i really dont like the pickup sized pus. thanx man. :)

• Members

What kind of strat is it... first take your pickgaurd off and look under there. If there are 3 small slots then it needs routing...

If there are 2 small ones and one larger one (SSH S=single, H=humbucker), then you are fine. Same as if there is two bigs and one small.

If it is just one big cavity, then it is a swimming pool.

Any of those and all you need is a new pickgaurd. Other wise, you will need a new pickgaurd, AND, just take a router to the Pickup hole closest to the bridge to make the hole big enough for a bucker. It doesn't have to be pretty, just as long as the humbucker fits, the pickgaurd will cover any mistakes.

You could even make the hole with a drill and a large bit, that's how they route control cavitys on a lot of guitars.

• Members

i have a made in mexico fender strat. and i dont want to pull my pickguard off, too much work. but the pickguard around the pickups sounds hollow. sounds like it could be a swimmingpool. and another thing. i know its off the topic but i need help. what is the suggested height for the fender vintage noiseless pups. i just messed them up and i forgot how to set them. thanx for your help.

Archived