Reverse spam: pups

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I'm lookin for a Duncan 59 or jazz... or something

I don't know yet, but I don't want something super hot... its goin in my Ibanez S prestige and I'm kinda goin for a jammy/rock n rolly bucker that has the ability to get jazzy too (in the case of the neck pick up at least)

I guess versatility is a major factor, and I really don't know much about passive pups to be honest, I know for metal I slapped an 81 and 85 into my jackson, but thats about the farthest thing from what I want with the Ibanez... I have always thought that Frailins and Andersons were good, but someone told me today they were pretty hot pickups, so I'm thinkin maybe not afterall... I dunno guys, I just kinda want a new toy

• Members

I dunno if this thread's gonna bite it, but I have a gold covered neck '59 bucker that's never been used, still has the plastic on the cover. I was gonna use it in a project, but I don't think so anymore. If you're interested, I could let it go for $70 shipped.

//S

• Members

I kinda realized I was more asking for pup recommendations than anything else after I hit Submit...

I think having a gold hum on this guitar would look pretty goofy, its sunburst, but with black hardware and a black bridge pup

I'll keep it in mind tho, I'm sorta toying with the idea of getting a benedetto a6 in gold for the neck...

• Members

Most people don't like gold hardware/pickups on guitars; at least, that's been my experience with responses around here. Post a pic of your guitar. :)

That said, I think the '59 would be right up your alley. The neck '59 is very warm, complex and fat. It's got an incredible tone with TS-9 type distortion, and can do a passable metal tone (though I honestly like the lil'59 in the bridge of a strat for metal; it's a bit more focused and has more bite) with the right pedals.

I know you said you're not that familiar with passives, but you can absolutely do metal and all kinds of things with passives. The great thing about 'em is that they can be incredibly versatile. The most versatile SD combos I've heard of usually involve either a '59 or Jazz neck and a Custom/Custom Custom/Custom 5 or JB bridge (the Custom * series are basically overwound '59's with different magnets. The ceramic provides a good deal of bite, the Alnico II mag is a bit warmer and rounder, and the A5 is a bit more bright, but doesn't have ceramic "harshness". I think the Custom (alnico 2) is a little underwound too). You can also look into the '59 Bridge, which I hear is a bit scooped in the mids, which some people have said they don't like.

Good luck, whatever you decide to go with.

//S :cool:

• Members

and more, minus the very last picture of course... which oddly enough occured on my guitar as well...

edit:I cropped the picture, so now you can't see it, but it was a light spot on the wood under the clear coat or whatever it was... I think it was a bubble because the tiniest tap while playing one day caused it to crack, exposing the wood :mad::eek::rolleyes:

• Members

I got this guitar a looooong time ago, and would love to check out a spec sheet now that I actually know something about guitars... it has two output jacks in which one has something to do with the piezo in the bridge... the minitoggle switches it into the acoustic simulation while a little black button engages the battery... wish they could have combined the two, cuz you get to drain the battery while you jam away on the electric tones or you get to throw a mini toggle and a little black button for a far from seemless switchover, its up to you! heh, but that being said its a great feeling ax, and the acoustic tone is shrill and brittle anyway... so {censored} it! heh... all truth be told I love the playability of it, and am satisfied with the sound, but I'm looking to get blown away

I do not need another metal guitar tho, I'm totally happy with my Jackson SLSMG with an 81 and 85 for that...

Archived