Do I have a bad switch? YOUR help is needed!

hare.29

• Members

Ok, so I have a Ibanez GRX20L with 2 humbuckers, tone, vol, and a 3-way. With the 3-way in the neck position, the guitar is dead. With the switch in the middle, however, both the bridge and neck pickups work (and with the switch in bridge, the bridge pickup works). None of the wiring is loose, but I can't see into the switch to see if it's not making contact. Should I just replace the switch?

Thanks.

• Members

Since your neck pickup works with the switch in the middle position its probably the switch.
The only real way to check your switch is with a multimeter that will read in ohms to check for continuity across the switch in diffferent positions.
First thing to try is spray contact cleaner in the switch.
If that doesn't fix it, replace the switch.

• Members

Thanks for the prompt responses.
I pulled out the multimeter and measured the resistance across the switch. With the switch in the center, I get 4.75 kOhms at all three connections (neck pup, vol pot, bridge pup). At the bridge position I get 9.4kOhms for the neck wire, and 9.6 at the other two. At the neck position, I get 9.4kOhms for the neck wire, .4MOhms (!) at the vol wire, and 9.8 kOhms at the bridge. I'm assuming that's where my problem lies. I'll try to dig out some contact cleaner and give it a shot.

• Members

This link is for the wiring diagram for your guitar.
http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/wire.asp?y=2002&w=GRX20
Check for continuity (the meter should read zero ohms or close to it)between the switch lug going to the volume pot and the lug
going to the neck pickup white or positive lug with the switch
in the neck position.
If the meter doesn't zero the switch is bad.

Archived