tokai MK4 pickups... change or keep

JcKerr

• Members

Hey just got a tokai love rock and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the pickups it came with.... they have chrome covers and i was thinking about taking them off... bad idea? also, which would take me further changing pickups or getting a RS wiring kit w/ pots, switch, jack and all that good stuff?

• Members

Originally posted by JcKerr

what about a JB... i really like the sound of custom customs and invaders... i've heard the 59 neck gets really muddy?

I don't think its muddy, its thick and bassy, just like a neck should be.

I've got a JB/59 set in my Tokai. Love it!

Custom/Jazz in my Tokai. Its pretty good but the Jazz is a little thin for my tastes.

I had an Invader in my strat. It was pretty dark unless it was tapped, then it was awesome....lol.

• Members

I had a 59 & JB SD's in my Love Rock for a while, but they came out because the neck was too muddy, and the JB lacked mid definition, it was all bass & treble, plus they both sounded a bit too clinical for my liking.

Saying that, a hell of a lot of people like that combination in their LP's. Another variation is to use a 59 neck with a Custom Custom or something. Or one of the myriad of other pickups available on the market.

Not so long ago, I put a pair of Bare Kuuckle Pickups in my Love Rock, and what a difference! It's come alive! I put a pair of Alnico V loaded Black Dog pickups in, because they have a really good mid presence, which is what I was after.

Research your pickups before buying them, decide what you want out of it before parting with your cash!

Archived