installing a tele bridge pickup / how hard is it?

teardrop

• Members

I've never installed pickups before myself, and hell I haven't even used a soldering iron before, and I want to change the bridge pickup on my tele myself (tired of getting charged by techs) I hear its not that difficult, or is it? anyone have any links/tips in regards to installing one of these? I need help.

• Members
Originally posted by batotman

If you can get on the internet surely you are smart enough to run a soldering iron!

What brand/model pickup?

I'm replacing a SD Broadcaster (kinda thin and shrill to my ears) with a custom-wound OC Duff :D

• Members

It is not too hard...thing to remember with teles is that the bridge is usually grounded via the bridge pickup's ground conductor so you will prb see a ring terminal inline on that wire that needs to be on your replacement or ground it another way.

Overall, it's a cut and paste kinda operation if you are using another two conductor pickup...remove two wires, put the ring terminal on the ground and solder in two new wires then button it all back up.

• Members

i will definetly chime in with my impressions once it gets installed...

but you also have to remember, when I say I've never used a soldering iron, I mean never... I don't even know how to un-solder something! I opened up the tele last night to take a look inside and see how everything is wired, I think I got a good idea, but I just need to figure out how to actually do it properly.

Archived