Guitar Strings

January_Embers

• Members

Hey all, I was just wondering how much of a difference the brand of strings makes. I've been using D'Addario's for pretty much the whole time I've been playing guitar. I would like to hear from people how have actually experimented with different brands and what they thought of each. Thanks a bunch.

• Members

Originally posted by January_Embers

Care to explain why you choose those?

I like the tone and feel.

Really, as long as the strings are quality-made, the particulars are a matter of personal tase, IMHO.

Only strings I ever used that I really despised were Fender.

Just as an aside... I didn't like Elixir on the electrics, but I do prefer them on the acoustic.

• Members

GHS Sub Zero Boomers: they're very bright (too much for my taste) they stay fresh for a long time, they take way too long to stay in tune even after intensive stretching. I don't like them.

GHS Boomers: just like Sub Zeros but without the extended life.
I thought they sucked.

D'addario XL: good life (not as long as the Sub Zero Boomers) and medium bright tone, they're very playable but I had a couple of the high E strings break on me, bad luck I guess. I like them.

Dean Markley Nickel Steel: my string of choice, they give me the tone and bass response I want right out of the pack. They never break.
They stay in tune and last a good while if taken care properly.

Dean Markley Blue Steel: very bright and very long lasting. Good strings I can see them working for some people, not for me, too bright out of the pack.

edit: I forgot about Gibson's britewires. I used these for a good while before I found Dean Markleys Nickelsteel. Good strings, chunky bottom strings. I liked these.

Archived