California World Guitar Show July 2005!!!1!

Sparky6string

• Members

Wow... best show ever. A lot of big-name guys showed up and I got to bs with them and try out their products. Got a free T shirt and tried out several amps guitars and pedals I always wanted to check out.

First off I saw Jim Soloway and Ben Fargen of Soloway guitars and Fargen Amplification respectively. They were really great guys and I got to try out a few examples of the Swan (unbelieveable) and one of Ben's amps. These guys are real down to earth and personable. Their products matched their personalities. Thanks for the good time fellas.

Pete Biltoft was there and I looked over his pickups and tried out his custom wound humbuckers. They were awesome indeed with a very interesting plus: you can change out the magnets in them. They come with alnico V and ceramic magnets, and in the case of the humbuckers, you could use one alnico and one ceramic for a customized sound. Very cool!

Saw the usual suspects like Skip Simmons and the various dealers that I'm starting to get on a first name basis with, and some new ones like Flipout Guitar's Dewey Decible. This show had a fun feeling that pervaded throughout the 6 1/2 hours that I dragged my GF around for.

I tried out amps from King Amplification, Sewell, Vox, Marshall and more. Played several Les Pauls there as well as a Fernandes Thinline tele (wow) and several others. The free T shirt came from Joey and John C at the Bannanas at Large booth (thanks a lot guys!) while I was test driving their Barber Direct Drive and Burn Unit pedals (I'm getting at least one). Those Sewell amps really blew me away too. If you ever get the chance to play one, do it!

Got a Digitech Bad Monkey almost new for $20 out the door. I was wanting one of those, and after trying it out at the show, at home and at a friends I'm glad I got it. Real nice little pedal. The only other thing I got was SEVERE GAS for several items including a Marshall amp I had been lusting after for a few years now.

Great day man. They should have that show here more than just twice a year. Another in January. You know I'll be there.

Archived