Homemade sunburst

JcKerr

• Members

Hey, i remember seeing a site that sold all the products you needed to do a homemade sunburst paintjob on guitars.... i'm thinking about making a parts o caster and was considering doing it sunburst... any links... also would I be better off buying an already sunbursted body, where can you find one cheap

• Members

No, do it yourself and use fluorescents or glow in the dark paint. Make it TOATLY one of a kind.

Practice on a carboard cutout. Cut out like 4-5 shapes and practice with other colors and stuff then step back and pick the right fade and colors.

Practice painting the burst on a stool walking around the stool at different angles.

If you use rattle cans watch the tip, if the paint builds up it can spit.

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

No, do it yourself and use fluorescents or glow in the dark paint. Make it TOATLY one of a kind.

Practice on a carboard cutout. Cut out like 4-5 shapes and practice with other colors and stuff then step back and pick the right fade and colors.

Practice painting the burst on a stool walking around the stool at different angles.

If you use rattle cans watch the tip, if the paint builds up it can spit.

+1

I didnt think of that. Yeah, totally do this if you are not worried about F***ing up your guitar. But if you are experienced enough with enough practice it should come out amazing:D .

• Members

I went to the trouble of buying the stain/paint from Stewmac, an air brush with compressor, and it turned out pretty good. The hardest part was getting the laquer on the body and making it look good. Laquer was a bad choice especially the laquer from the cans. If you can get the colors right on the body, I'd take it to a custom paint shop and have them laquer it for you. The sanding and prep between coats is a chore.

Archived