Why use basswood and birch for the guitar body?

mad axe man

• Members

I was talking about solid bodies. I own a les paul, and I own a Ibanez. They're both radically different guitars, b/c of electronics and hardware. They sound pretty different too. But I sound the same through both no matter what. Some people don't seem to the fact that tone comes from the fingers, and not inanimate wood.

• Members

Originally posted by Bucketboy

I was talking about solid bodies. I own a les paul, and I own a Ibanez. They're both radically different guitars, b/c of electronics and hardware. They sound pretty different too. But
I
sound the same through both no matter what. Some people don't seem to the fact that tone comes from the fingers, and not inanimate wood.

If your tone is coming from your fingers, and not the guitar, then 1. Sell your guitars 2. Run, to the patent office, and show them your fingers, 3. Join the circus and become rich. or 4. do some research on what your strings are attached to Bud!

Ignorance is bliss, huh?

GB

• Members

All of the solid body and semi hollow body electric guitars we build are through-neck guitars. Over half of these have American Basswood body sides, and the tone is great. It tonally balances the Rock Maple we use for the necks, and neck-through structure.

GB

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

Believe it or not cardboard also makes an excellent tonewood.

yes i agree!

it is very toney!

and cheap and you can cut any body shape you want!

i had a custom made cardboard les paul style guitar and it was friggin incredible!

only prob was that bent easy!:(

now about BIRCH, it is a bit mellower than maple so it is realg good for those that want less highs than maple produces

sound like a basswood/birch combo would be pretty friggin balanced tonally:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Ancient Mariner

Basswood is a soft, easily machined wood, but it's also very light and resonant. My Dean baby is made from basswood, and tonally it's great.

I'd suspect the 'cheap wood' theory for budget guitars is correct, but for the wrong reasons. With Basswood you can make a cheap guitar because the machining costs will be lower, plus it will produce a much better tone than a cheap, heavy piece of ash or alder. To get a high quality piece of Alder that is light will require care and inspection - all things that add cost.

I too like basswood.

I had a 74 Ibanez Les Paul with a birch top and a chambered laminate body that sounded superb with those super 70s pus (amazing for slide).

In regard to your comment about Alder and Ash, and although I have guitars made from those which I love, I think you may have a point.

A few years ago I purchased a Dillion Strat on Ebay at the recommendation of a friend (who owns a Dillion) for $225 BIN. At the time I was strictly rhythm (didn't make it cry or sing) and really enjoyed the plucky rhythm sound it produced. As I improved I noticed single notes just didn't ring out on this guitar, though my tech had commented on how resonant it was.

So I put in some Biltoft PUs - big improvement but still leads lacked sustain and harmonic complexity. I still basically liked this guitar better than most my friends Fenders I played and suspected the neck as the culprit. So I replaced it with a 97 Maple Fender neck.

When I took the Dillion neck off, it didn't even look like the same type of maple (more yellowish, different grain) and had real chalky sawdust in the tuner holes. All I can say is WOW this guitar really sounds amazing now and is by far the best sounding most resonant strat I've ever touched. The Dillion body is made of CHESTNUT not Alder or Ash. I feel like Dr Frankenstein and although I eventually will need to replace some cheap Korean screws which got a little stripped on this beast, it has a great Wilkinson trem, never goes out of tune, and sounds divine (vintage sound). Try this mod - you won't be dissapointed.

Archived