Is this a scam?

theyab

• Members

I'm living in the United Arab Emirates, and i've got a UK buyer for my Ibanez RG. He sent me this email initially:

hello,

i will like to buy the product you placed for sale tell me the price and let me know if you accept cashier check for payment.

also send pics if available.

i awaits your reply asap.

As i have a bank account in the UK, i thought it may be more convenient to use that. I replied with this:

Hi,

I currently have an offer of 380 UK pounds, which includes all shipping and packaging. I have a UK barclays bank account, so i would rather you transferred the money to there.

i just got this reply:

HELLO,

THANKS FOR THE PROMPT RESPONSE.YES AM INTERESTED IN THE WHOLE PACKAGE.MY SHIPPING AGENT

WILL BE

COMING FOR THE PICKUP,I WILL HANDLE THE SHIPPING

MYSELF,THERE WONT BE ANY PROBLEM CLEARING THE CHEQUE

SO I WILL

INSTRUCT MY CLIENT IN THE STATE THAT IS OWEING ME

SOME 3,000POUNDS AND IS WILLING TO PAY ME BACK THROUGH

CHEQUE. I

WILL INSTRUCT HIM TO SEND THE CHEQUE STRAIGHT AWAY

TO YOU.IF YOU GET

IT,DEDUCT YOUR EXACT MONEY FROM IT AND I WILL GIVE

YOU THE INFORMATION HOW

THE BALANCE WILL BE COLLECTED FROM YOU LATER. AS

SOON AS YOU GET THE

CHEQUE,TAKE IT TO A BANK AND CASH THE

MONEY.SO LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE PLEASED WITH THIS

OFFER AND ALSO IF YOU STILL HAVE THE PRODUCT FOR

SALE AND IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SELL IT FOR ME.

i don't have much idea what it is he wants, but ive heard of a few scams involving the buyer sending a cheque or whatever for a much higher sum than the product is worth, and asking for change...is this was this guy wants? is it a scam?

thanks

theyab

• Members

I got this same email a few weeks ago when i was selling an R/c Plane on a completely different website. The email said the person had a 'personal' contact who would pick up my plane, but i had to use cashiers check. lame

• Members

Originally posted by Zen

theyab.

I used to live in UAE in Dubai before i moved to Austrailia.

I knew a Yamaha dealer there. {censored} I wish i bought a Yamaha while i was there (no TAX!!!11!!1)

Most of the dealers here are {censored} these days. They just have a load of old, overpriced old stock...the acoustics are alright, but theyre only left with some bottom end electrics (which although are good guitars, im not gonna replace my MIJ RG with one!)

• Members

Originally posted by LeGreatOne

SCAM. Don't accept that "offer."

I know it is, but can i get into toruble by playing around with him a little bit, and giving him my address so he can send me the fake cheque?

• Members

Originally posted by theyab

I know it is, but can i get into toruble by playing around with him a little bit, and giving him my address so he can send me the fake cheque?

sure, go ahead and give as much as necessary and try to nab him. Report him and hopefully he'll get caught. I wouldn't give too much info.

• Members

What a punk. If it was through Ebay you were selling the guitar report him. I'd probably call the freakin FBI or wheoever's the equivalent where you live just to report him because I would be so pissed even though it wouldn't do any good.

I hate crooks.

Or just say send the money dork and I send you the guitar. Then he say " I know understand...what is dork?"

• Members

Originally posted by theyab

bastard:mad: thinks he can rip me off 'cause im in the middle east?! ok maybe im just paranoid, but hes still a bastard!

They run that scam at people all over the globe....

It's pretty amazing how many people still fall for all the well known scams. They had a segment on the local news a few months back about an older woman who just recently fell for that nigerian letter scam that's been around for years.

• Members

Originally posted by dughaze

What a punk. If it was through Ebay you were selling the guitar report him. I'd probably call the freakin FBI or wheoever's the equivalent where you live just to report him because I would be so pissed even though it wouldn't do any good.

I hate crooks.

Or just say send the money dork and I send you the guitar. Then he say " I know understand...what is dork?"

How can I get this guy into trouble? Who do I complain to? I haven't used ebay, just advertised my guitar on a number of sites (includign HC and the spam thread in this forum). One guy who contacted me seems legit, this is the other guy (im not stupid, i can spot a scam).

I've given him my address and asked for his (i told him i wanted to know where to send the guitar)...ill see how things go from there.

If I DO recieve any kind of cheque, why can't i cash it? Is it forged? Or will it simply bounce?

Archived