So, tell me, what's the Gibson Les Paul all about

theconezone

• Members
Originally posted by flickerfade

O_O wow that does look very similar.. they look exact actually.... kinda makes me feel like mine is less special =/

Hey, they're both special! There are lots of LPs and copies that have that color, but IMO what makes one special is how it plays. :)

Wasn't trying to rain on your parade. :(

• Members

someone told me that I could find out the exact person.. or maybe just more info on my Gibson based on the head of the neck and where the dot on the 'i' in 'Gibson' is placed... mine has no dot.. so what does that mean?

huh?:confused:

• Members

... the dot on the 'i' in 'Gibson' is placed... mine has no dot.. so what does that mean?

Yours is from Satan.

If you don't believe me, then read yer Bible!

"For I solemnly say to you, heaven and earth would sooner pass away than the dotting of an "i" or the crossing of a "t" from the law, until it all becomes in force."

Mt 5:17-18

• Members

haha no seriously.. this guy at a guitar shop said that the when they were making the les pauls.. certain GibsonGuys(?) i dunno these people i guess finishing the guitars would design the Gibson logo in their own way... some would put the dot on the G some on the i and some didn't have dots at all.. i dunno maybe this guy's on crack.. but he did tell me some info about the serial number on the back 73007546... the two 7s indicate 1977... 300 means the 300th day of that year.. 5 means it was made in Tennesse and it was the 46th Les Paul made that day...

• Members

haha no seriously.. this guy at a guitar shop said that the when they were making the les pauls.. certain GibsonGuys(?) i dunno these people i guess finishing the guitars would design the Gibson logo in their own way... some would put the dot on the G some on the i and some didn't have dots at all.. i dunno maybe this guy's on crack.. but he did tell me some info about the serial number on the back 73007546... the two 7s indicate 1977... 300 means the 300th day of that year.. 5 means it was made in Tennesse and it was the 46th Les Paul made that day...

The logo has changed several times over the years, including years they did not have a dot over the i...I have never heard a story about individual employees creating their own logos.

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

Crunch.

I decided to read the other posts this time before I weighed in on this topic, and I agreed with "Burgess" post.

My experience is limited to my one Les Paul Studio Custom Shop Edition. It's a 1983 (I bought it new in 1984) and a fairly rare bird (i.e. an upscale CSE version of their new lighter more affordable LP).

I love the feel of that guitar, but it's not necessarily as ergonomic as a superstrat style. But I like the neck fretboard and string action. It yields itself well to blazing riff action.

Tone-wise, I don't like its clean tones. They sound either a little muddy but very warm and round (neck) or a little hard (bridge) and with little resonant character. But when you add some overdrive or distortion, you can achieve some classic tones. Played next to my PRS CE22, the PRS is a far more resonant guitar.

My LP has the 490/498 combo. I think I might prefer a model with '57 classics or Burstbuckers since that would provide more character in the clean modes as well. If you want major crunch, then the classic with the 496R/500T combo is the ticket.

I originally just bought mine because it was bee yoo tiful.

I changed amps a couple times trying to get the tone I was looking for, finally I realized I had to buy a strat to get that. The LP tone is a great match with the Marshall amp voicing. It's a little too fat for most Fenders.

It's been 20+ years now for me of learning about guitars and tone (as a hobbyist). Still a student.

• Members

haha no seriously.. this guy at a guitar shop said that the when they were making the les pauls.. certain GibsonGuys(?) i dunno these people i guess finishing the guitars would design the Gibson logo in their own way... s

haha no seriously...Satan is real, and your LP hath deleted the dot on the iota!:eek:

LouvinbrothersSatan.jpg

• Members

Nothing short of the greatest guitar ever made. Badly copied by hundreds of inferior companies in foreign lands. Teenage boys live for the day they can own one and go so far as to put Gibson decals on their copies. Envy and jealousy cause thousands of misguided souls to bash them in the hopes of feeling better. Yes there really is nothing like a Gibson.

• Members
Originally posted by Collie Ransom

Nothing short of the greatest guitar ever made. Badly copied by hundreds of inferior companies in foreign lands. Teenage boys live for the day they can own one and go so far as to put Gibson decals on their copies. Envy and jealousy cause thousands of misguided souls to bash them in the hopes of feeling better. Yes there really is nothing like a Gibson.

Good prose.
However, you should have used the "F" word instead of the "G" word.

57st.jpg

Archived